Average Life of 1997 Astro Shock Absorbers

Does any one have any idea of a ball park life estimate of shock absorbers?

Reply to
Terminator

Usually around 50k miles.

Reply to
houston

Reply to
Lukasz A Kaczmarek

No. They either start leaking or just stop dampening around that km.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Don Simmons

Thank you Don.

Reply to
Caprice Classic

Agreed. I just ordered 4 for my Grand Am. When I'm going to find time to put them in is another problem. The old ones wore out at about 50k miles and don't dampen like they used to.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=2D=A6=2D?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=2D=A

The reason I originally posted this is I have a 1997 Astro odometer reads

107,000 miles and received sticker shock from Sears.

I purchased the van 13 months/17,000 miles ago. After my inspection, the shocks do not look like they were replaced recently before I bought the van.

Since our friendly SEARS has everything and they advertised 50% off Monroe until October 11 including a mail-in rebate, I drove to the nearest Sears Oct. 9. Monroe has Buy 3 Get the 4th Free Mail-In Promotion valid October

5th through October 25th 2003.

The money was burning a hole in my wallet for the piece of mind going into Winter. I was ready to make a purchase of 4 shocks installed until the clerk advised me to bring the van back after the sale Wednesday October 15. His excuse their mechanics complain the rear shocks are supposedly difficult to remove. He said since Wednesdays are a midweek and slow day, it would be convenient for me to leave the van all day and they would honor the sale price.

To arouse my dismay some wet behind the ears kid chewing gum told me his store has problems installing rear shocks on 97 Astros. During my 37+ years working on my own vehicles I have installed shocks on Astros and other American vehicles with out major difficulties other than the usual skinned knuckles.

My motivation was to have Sears install the shocks for $12.99 ea. to save me skinning my knuckles. Their Monroe regular selling cost is $39.99 ea. before their sale markdown to $31.99 ea. The gross amount including markdown before rebate and Ohio Sales Tax for the front & rear LT shocks installed is $179.92. Their rebate on light truck shocks is $8.00 each. $179.92 less rebate (4 X $8.00) $32.00 equals $147.92 net. Sales tax now is about 6.75%.

Feeling like I am a mystery shopper while trying to keep my comparison apple to apples, I could bite the bullet and maybe leave the vehicle all day for their chronic complaining staff to tackle.

Reply to
Caprice Classic

What about some heavy duty shocks? Or are the Monroe Gas shocks good for the Safari/Astro?

Lukasz

Reply to
Lukasz A Kaczmarek