AWD Impala?

Page 2 of 2
They have not failed as you put it. I don't have experience with you particular brakes (maybe there is something a bit hokey with them?) but I can tell you this much... controlled tests with professional
drivers show shorter stopping distances with ABS enabled vs. the same cars with the same drivers in the same conditions without ABS engaged. This is over multiple runs. The job of the ABS is to release pressure on the brake as the wheel starts approaching skidding. The way it does this is to back off the brake pressure just as the skid would start, but only back it off a little so it is still very close to the maximum pressure that can be applied before a skid starts. The ABS basically rapidly oscillates the pressure between these two points. The result is an average pressure applied over time which is very close to the theoretical maxim pressure before a skid happens. Humans tend to not to be as efficient at applying as much pressure, or end up applying pressure over the threshold resulting in a skid.

Thank you for the nice post as well. I would say I agree that in any condition where skidding results in shorter stopping distances, then ABS will be inferior in such situations. I just don't think there are too many situations like that. The snow "damming" effect might be one such example though.

On 3/20/06 5:47 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@nntp.charter.net,

ABS was designed for people who close their eyes and mash the brake pedal. Seen it happen more than once.
spewed forth this gibberish...

Agreed
I remember talking to a misubishi factory rep who was called out early one morning to investigate an accident in which the vehicles brakes had reportedly failed. The car was a brand new 3000GT VR4 twin turbo, all wheel drive. The female driver was on her way to work, with about 6-8 inches of fresh snow on the road. She was approaching a T intersection travelling 60 mph ( remember, all wheel drive ). She waited till the last minute to brake ( she has ABS ) and proceded to go through the guard rails and travelled about 150 yards into the woods. She claimed the brakes had failed. She said she hit the brakes and nothing happened. Of course the brake system was still functioning properly and had no damage whatsoever.
ABS was designed to let you stop AND steer at the same time. It is not magic. You still need to match your speed to the road conditons.
As slick as that sounds, steerability would probably been about nil at her rate of speed with or without ABS. You're right, ABS isn't magic. It's just an aid.

spewed forth this gibberish...

You see a lot of 4WD vehicles in the ditch because just having it guarantees you nothing; you have to know how to use it. I've had 4WD for 35 years and I've never gone into the ditch or gotten stuck with it. There are too many bad drivers on the road and we need to either train them or get them off the road.
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Wed, Mar 22, 2006, 10:33pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@stargate.com (dh)
spewed forth this gibberish... ABS was desigened to allow the driver to be able to steer the vehicle under heavy braking. It was not designed to shorten stopping distance. If it works so well why are the insurance companies no longer offering discounts for ABS equipped vehicles? No, ABS was developed to reducing stopping distance. ABS was designed for people who close their eyes and mash the brake pedal. Seen it happen more than once. Agreed I remember talking to a misubishi factory rep who was called out early one morning to investigate an accident in which the vehicles brakes had reportedly failed. The car was a brand new 3000GT VR4 twin turbo, all wheel drive. The female driver was on her way to work, with about 6-8 inches of fresh snow on the road. She was approaching a T intersection travelling 60 mph ( remember, all wheel drive ). She waited till the last minute to brake ( she has ABS ) and proceded to go through the guard rails and travelled about 150 yards into the woods. She claimed the brakes had failed. She said she hit the brakes and nothing happened. Of course the brake system was still functioning properly and had no damage whatsoever. ABS was designed to let you stop AND steer at the same time. It is not magic. You still need to match your speed to the road conditons. *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com ***
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "So why do I drive a big SUV? It's because I have to haul numerous people and things to places." ~ R. Lee Baxton ~
You see a lot of 4WD vehicles in the ditch because just having it guarantees you nothing; you have to know how to use it. I've had 4WD for 35 years and I've never gone into the ditch or gotten stuck with it. There are too many bad drivers on the road and we need to either train them or get them off the road.
Don't you know... 4WD makes you invincible.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

And fog lights. Don't forget fog lights! Makes you look oh-so-cool.
Was actually designed to allow aircraft to stop in shorter distances, but why confuse a good story with the truth.
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:38:13 GMT, Michael Keefe

Actually, a wagon version of the Impala in AWD with the 5.3 might be quite useful, but it would not sell well.