Bad EGR 1994 3.1

I have a 1994 Grand Am with the 3.1 with 124000 miles. The check engine light has been coming on for over a year. The engine ran with no noticeable problems so I never checked into it other than assuming
it was the oxygen sensor which I replaced. The check engine light continued to come on. I rented a code reader and the code came back of a bad #3 solenoid on the EGR valve. A new valve ran from $200 to $350 so I bought a new (used) one on Ebay for 35.00. Installed it but I am still getting the check engine light. I suppose that both valves could be bad. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. I know that a bad component on one part of the engine could trigger a code for another. Has anyone come across a similar problem with the EGR valve on this engine. Or what other problem could trigger a code for the bad solenoid #3 on the EGR. Thanks
I had the some problem in my 1994 Corsica....the motor never ran bad so I never changed it. Mine had 160K on it. Didn't effect gas mileage either (32 Highway, 28 City) so I didn't worry about it. Although if another problem with the check engine light appeared, I would not have known.... Car has since been replaced with a 2000 Monter Carlo, and the new owner of the Corsica has not changed the EGR valve yet (sold 6 months ago)

Good thing your not in NY. As of July 1 2003 the check engine light being on is grounds for failure of inspection now. Lot's of new stuff added into the new regs, really sucks.....
--
Steve Williams

"Eightupman" < snipped-for-privacy@newemail.com> wrote in message
good thing I don't live there any more. That is my home state!! Another reason not to go back!!

The failure is due to poor flow of the egr system.. the port from the egr valve into the intake is clogged with carbon buildup..the passage goes from the egr valve to a hole right behind the throttle plate..about all you can do to fix is to remove the throttle body, and egr valve and clean out the port.. It usually clogs up at the throttle plat end... It's a pain to get in there but it does fix the problem.....Bobo

I had a similar problem with my '93 Olds 88, 3.8L. I tested the solenoids on the EGR and they all worked. Removed it to check for any carbon build up, and there was hardly anything. I then tested the wiring harness back to the ECM - still nothing wrong!
What fixed it was simply unplugging all of the wire connections at the ECM and then plugging them back in. No problems for almost two years.
Doug

I'm guessing it was code 77 that showed up? That code indicates that manifold pressure was high when the solenoid was commanded on. This can indicate either a problem with the valve, or something else that would cause low EGR flow, like carbon-clogged passages in the manifold..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Thanks for the replys. Sounds like it could be carbon build up in the manifold. Is there any easy was to clean this?