Ball Joint Replacement

You must be new to Usenet.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

True. ;)) On the other hand, it reminds me of the old definition of "adventure" - someone a long ways off, having a hard time.

- Larry A.

Reply to
Larry A.

If you trust random people on the 'net more than you trust your mechanic then you have some serious judgement problems and/or don't know how to choose a mechanic.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Would it not be better to answer the question I posed rather than post irrelevant messages? If I need to know about judgement problems that I may or may not have, then I would ask for it and since I didn't, let's just stick to the question on hand.

Reply to
nashak

I took my truck to Kal Tire for a free inspection because I heard a noise in my front end. They said everything had to be replaced, including 5 parts that were just replaced a year ago. They quoted me $2200.00 Canadian. I took it to my friend at a ford dealership "although my truck is a GM". He told me that I needed a pitman arm, rag joint, 1 upper ball joint, 2 shocks, idler arm, but the other "roughly

13 parts, 20 grease nipples to give you an idea" were fine. He said he couldn't move the other 3 ball joints. Anyway, I bought the parts for $500.00 and put them in myself. Anyway, they are right telling you that since it was just one ball joint, sounds like the guy was being truthful. I would have fallen for that. You, otoh are also right in getting a third opinion and have every right to get a 4th opinion in this ng. I never get scammed by mechanics "anymore", but the free inspection was too tempting. Nothing is free.

Reply to
bob

A squeek in the front end that go's away when you apply the brakes. Sounds like a "wear tab". This is a metal clip attached to your brake pad that rubs against your rotor once your pads are worn down that will let you know when your pads are almost worn out. I bend mine back until the next sunny day, or the weekend, when I have time to replace them. Anyway, I haven't read all your posts. You have probably already had that checked out. GL

Reply to
bob

You are right, of course. But I'd venture to say that most customers are honest, but some are crooks.

I had an interesting little episode last weekend that has absolutely nothing to do with ball joints, but reading your post reminded me of what happened.

I was down at our shop on a Saturday...working on my wife's car....checking out the A/C. A "customer" came barreling into the shop....asked me "do you work here"? I said "yes, I do".

He then asked "why did the fellow that I phoned tell me that there are no mechanics working on the weekend"? I said: "because I'm not "working" today, but I do "work here"!

Anyway, he claimed that we had pulled the seat out of his truck (which we did) and damaged his rear half door so that it wouldn't open. He was going on a fishing trip with his truck and was quite excited about the whole thing.

Hey, no problem...I said I'd take a look at it. Pulled it in to the shop and got the door apart and had a look inside. It was obvious that the door had not been working for awhile and was not the result of anything that the technician had done. I didn't say anything, but just went and got the door latch from parts, ordered another part that it needed and jury rigged the lower latch with a hose clamp until the part came in. He was happy as could be, gave me complements about how I was changing his view about mechanics integrity....etc.

We took his truck in to the shop the day before because he was whining that he had to get it fixed. He had no appointment, the truck was a used piece of shit that he had gotten out in British Columbia and the air bag light was on. Turns out the vehicle had "probably" been thru a river, the SDM under the seat was corroded.

Then he comes in on a Saturday, claiming we broke all this other stuff. The nerve! Whatever, I fixed it, got him on his way...and he still has to come back for the other part. When he does....I'll have a little chat with him about "honesty and integrity".

I've run into many, many dishonest customers. We actually have to have all sorts of controls and checks in place in order to protect ourselves from them.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

You know, I read about that and I am going to check it over the weekend. No-one on this group has suggested the 'wear tab'. Of course if you go over the posts on this topic you will see some people who were hell-bent that it is the ball joint (because a mechanic said so), some who did psycho-analysis of the problem and gave solutions/opinions on everything but the problem on hand (I think that was because they did not know the answer and were just being defensive on their lack of knowledge).

Reply to
nashak

Your description of the problem was dismal at best! It took you 3 to

4 posts before anyone got "all" of the information. I realize that people like you probably imagine that everyone has a crystal ball...but it sure helps when you are more specific.

The other way you can figure out what's wrong is to simply drive it until (your brakes start grinding, there...it was the wear sensor) or (the ball joint comes apart, there.....it was a worn ball joint). You'll figure it out eventually!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian,

As you have no doubt seen, your post does come under the ones where you give opinion/solution on everything but the problem on hand (see my above posts). if you do not understand a problem, the solution is not - "crystal ball" but a reply asking for more information. I do not know how stupid you have to be to continue on this path but that is your choice.

Reply to
nashak

I've been here a while. Most people have probably given up responding to your request for info. Why on earth people inhabiting these newsgroups should have to "ask" you for more information is beyond me. You are the one looking for info...get your ducks lined up "before" you venture in here.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

And in all that time you still have not learnt anything and I suspect that there are many things beyond you. So don't put too much pressure on that brain. No-one's putting a gun to your head to respond. It is your choice. If you feel that the information is not sufficient to answer then you can either ignore the post or ask for more information. Rest of the stuff you can either keep them to yourself or stuff it in your 'you know where'. is that clear or is it still 'beyond' you?

Reply to
nashak

Hey pal, why don't you follow your own advice and STFU. You came here askiing for advice, the advice given wasn't to your liking. Instead of following your own advice (Rest of the stuff you can either keep them to yourself or stuff it in your 'you know where') you have made numerous posts , such as the one above, letting everyone know how you feel. We all heard you the first time, so, if you are unhappy posting here just STFU and LEAVE.

Ian has been a long time member here as is always willing to help anyone. He aslo is very knowledgable and his advice is usually spot on. You seem to be just a whiner with a never ending list of things to whine about. You asked for advice, it wasn't to your liking and you let everyone know this. Everyone heard you the first time, but for some reason you have been carrying on about this for over week. So lets see if you can now follow your own advice, if you don't have anything positive to say and/or cannot answer the question then " Rest of the stuff you can either keep them to yourself or stuff it in your 'you know where'. is that clear or is it still 'beyond' you? "

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

Reply to
Mike

A wear tab would be considerably inconsistent with the descriptions you've put forward up to this point. Bob threw a good idea on the table given the poor descriptions you have offered, but it's not consistent with what you've stated. Wear tabs don't make noises over bumps. Nor do they squeak. They make a grinding noise.

People offered you a good amount of information on ball joints because that's what you came in here telling everyone was diagnosed on the car. As well, you have described symptoms consistent with a ball joint problem. You clearly know nothing at all about cars yet you somehow feel empowered to author the above in which you castigate those who do have experiences and who have offered up thoughts. In particular, you make nothing short of a complete ass of yourself in your diatribes with Ian. You sir, are nothing but a crank.

I could think of nothing more fitting than that the front end of your rolling hunk of junk fall out in your driveway because you are too cheap to just get the car fixed.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well said, Mike.... If an idiot like this one wants to come and attack Ian, he will find out who has the support on here.

Reply to
<HLS

Lets see, Ian = DEALER technician for GM with a LOT of years of actually working on autos and giving correct advice when given the CORRECT INFO.

OR Someone who gives info that indicates a bad ball joint who is told the same by at least two mechanics and many folks here. Who then proceeds to WHINE about this and insists that it can't be the ball joints but could be many other items. Who's only replies seem to insist that folks f*ck off when they give advise he doesn't like and that mechanics are all out to scam people.

Must be a great mechanic you trust if he cannot tell a bad ball joint. They are not just looked at during inspections. Oh and if he doesn't do inspections maybe HE is wrong about the wear on the brakes and the ball joints. NAA that couldn't happen.

So My suggestion- LEAVE since you seem to dislike the folks here.

Reply to
Steve W.

maybe you should start STFU yourself. No-one asked you about your opinion. Ian got what he deserved when he questions why people should reply to incomplete posts etc. etc. and if you think that a few 'bullies' like yourself can gang up and make this group your personal domain then you are more fu'ed up than you realize.

Ian could be a great mechanic (even though he has not provided any meaningful response on this post), but that does not give him the right to question anyone's right to post.

So maybe you guys need to leave this group and join a personal AOL like chatgroup where you can question 'rights' of other people. till then take care of your own door and your own ass. the door might simply miss the big hole you got there

Reply to
nashak

does not matter who has the support. I am enough for all of you. OTOH you feel the need to support Ian and enlist the support of others. Feelings of insecurity.. likely...

Reply to
nashak

If only the world events took place as per your wish, Peter Pan. But thankfully it does not.

Reply to
nashak

FUNNY. where did you read that two mechanics told me that the ball joint is bad? will wait to see your reply...

Reply to
nashak