Banzai! - Toyota is #1

(1) driving.ca

Toyota Motor Corp. edged past General Motors Corp. to become the world's biggest automaker by sales volume in 2006, leading industry paper Automotive News said.

The Automotive News Data Center, which publishes a widely quoted annual ranking of the world's automakers, said Japan's top carmaker outsold GM by about 128,000 units, with 8,808,000 units, when stripping out commercial vehicles built by a GM affiliate in China. GM sold

8,679,860, the paper said.

==========

(2) Rising Sun

The Emperor is pleased.

Reply to
Rising Sun

I read that yesterday. GM was trying to cheat. Funny enough!

Reply to
GO Mavs

Does this really matter? For many many years GM was #1 in volume, but definitely not near #1 in quality of design and manufacture.

Reply to
who

Says you.

Reply to
80 Knight

And you are an idiot.

Reply to
80 Knight

I take it you own several thousand shares of Toyota stock?

Reply to
PerfectReign

I remember those days, I was a double-gear certified GM mechanic who had to deal with it.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

I was thinking today, as I often do...

I remember when I was a kid, and GM outsold EVERYBODY in the world, all across the globe.

In the 80's their market started dwindling to North America. Now it is mostly North America with a few sales around the globe; Cadillacs actually sell a few units every year in Japan.

Now, even the home market is abandoning the brand.

Toyota has almost always sold world-wide, and it has taken them till this year to top GM.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, interestingly, the biggest market for Buick is ... China. They sell more there than in the US. China is also getting GM cars we don't -- a rwd Buick Park Avenue, an extended length STS called the SLS...

Reply to
Lloyd

Many people are followers. I got my first European car in 1958. I gave up GM in 1981. My last was a GMC Van.

Toyota may have very good quality, but not the vehicle I need. Honda's CR/V is on my short list.

Interestingly both the base Honda CR/V and Camry have wheels I would not be caught driving with and me not big on fancy wheels. The base CR/V wheels are just ugly steel wheels without a hub cap. The base Camry has ugly steel wheels with a flimsy plastic hub cap. Obviously they are trying to discourage purchase of the base model. With both vehicles going up one level gets me into features I don't want, so I would have to buy the base and change the wheels. Add $1,000 to the price!

Reply to
who