BAT-TREES

Just finished reading an article about auto maintenance in the Southwest.
They claim that higher under-hood temps can really wreak havoc with battery life.
Main prob seems to be water evaporating from the cells.
I haven't checked mine yet, but I thought that all modern batterys were "sealed".
Should I attempt to pry off any lid to check liquid levels ? <rj>

Yes. Some still have removable caps on the cells, and need distilled water added. Don't put tap water in it.
<RJ> wrote:

kind you have before proceeding. You may not have WATER in it.
<RJ> wrote:

Many so called maintenance free batteries actually have provisions for topping of the electrolyte. If your does, then by all means check and add distilled water if needed.
Modern batteries are not sealed and must in fact vent to the atmosphere or risk explosion. So called maintenance free batteries should really be called maintenance reduced!
John
Get the spiral type spill proof ones. They do not use a liquid electrolyte. Trying to remember... there is more than one brand of them out there. There are at least a couple brands commonly found in stores. My last battery I got was from Sam's club and was of this variety. They do cost more though, and for there size and weight do not offer as high CCA as a traditional keep er filled up style battery. In almost all other respects they are superior though, and I found one that still had plenty of cranking power for my application.