Battery Insulator

The battery in my 2001 Monte Carlo has a fitted foam insulator the surrounds it on the sides. After all these years the insulator has seen better days. I'm replacing the battery. Should I acquire a replacement insulator?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Nope.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

This insulator does two things: Obviously, it keeps the battery warmer longer during cold weather. But much more importantly, it keeps the battery cooler during hot weather. Battery insulators are becoming more common on new cars. High underhood temperatures and tightly sealed engine compartments have raised underhood temperatures to Easy-Bake oven levels, well above the boiling point of water in some spots in the engine bay. The insulator keeps the electrolyte cool enough to not boil away. Remove it, and the battery rapidly runs out of water. That's hard enough on a conventional battery that you can top off if need be. It's doubly dreadful on maintenance-free batteries that do not have fill caps.

Replace that insulator, and put in the correct battery. You may need to go back to the dealer for the part.

Reply to
SnS