Battery Overcharge

Hello. My '93 Chevy G20 w/5.0 is creeping towards the red 18v area of the gauge. It's always been in the middle gauge range until just recently. It doesn't get driven much, so i haven't really noticed it before.
Alternator? Regulator? Am I even close? Thanks.
jwald wrote:

What does a real meter across the battery terminals say?

I posted prior to getting a meter. I'm getting 14.40 at the terminals, so I'm happy. Thanks.
Controlling overcharge is what has turned out to be most expensive in the new electrical cars.
The batteries have been very expensive and the lithium cells are sensitive to overcharging.
The controlling mechanism needs to monitor each and every cell while charging.
If the are overcharged they can blow up and burn.
This used to be a problem in the computers and telephones too.
This has become less of a problem now and the prices are coming down dramatically.
It will of course mean that the price of electrical cars will also come down a lot too.
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:35:01 -0600, Paul in Houston TX

I'm rather sure the PCM overvoltage will shut it down if it hits 18 volts, so as Paul says, toss a real voltmeter on the battery and check the voltage.