Battery recommendation

For years I have taken the trouble to find Delco batteries for my GM cars. Used to be you could get them at any auto parts store, but now they all have their
own brands to push and Delcos are harder to find. Also, I don't really know if they are all that good anymore. I hear a lot about Interstate, but they seem to be sold mostly at garages. The battery currently in my 95 Park Ave. is an "Energizer" from Pep Boys, which is supposedly a 5 year battery but showing signs of weakness after only 2 years when it was installed as a warranty replacement after only 3 years.
So, what's the word on the street? Is any battery brand worth chasing down, or is it just a matter of "renting one" from among the private-branded bunch?
TIA Ed
Jag snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Interstate batteries seem to be good. I still have the one in my '84 T/A that I bought in 1998 and it looked like the battery had been in the car for years back then!
Dennis Smith
I've run Sears Die Hard or Sears Range Handlers. Currently I got a 1000 Amp - 900 CCA battery with a 100 month warranty. The battery will out live the car ! LOL. The previous Die Hard I had 7 years.
I always believed in the higher amp, more cold cranking amps than the lower ratings. Especially if you got to park outdoors in cold climates .
I have extra bulbs & electrical add ons so I want more amps. Bigger is better.
Wal or K Mart I think had Delco batteries last time I looked.
You might also get a walk out price from a GM dealer.
Good luck
Sears Die Hard batteries are good, I've used them for years. Optima is one of the best-built batteries but in reality, only a handful of battery manufacturers make all the batteries.

Delco batteries are crap, you should see how many the dealerships I'ev worked at had to replace every month, we ordered new ones by the pallet load. Get an Optima battery.
Jag Man wrote:

Basicly, I've got one registered car, so I want the best battery money can buy. I currently have an Optima, and am impressed with its power, most powerful battery I've ever seen. The DieHard Gold is a good choice if you want a " conventional " battery. I'd rate the Delco at third, and the rest ?
As a matter of fact I have an Optima in my 1976 Jaguar. However, the Jag has a to hold-down, whereas the Buick has a "toe clamp." I didn't want a project on my hands to put a new battery in the Buick. But maybe I'll take another look at the Optima.
Ed

battery
its

I go the opposite route form the other posts here. I buy the cheapest I can find that meets the car's spec and schedule a replacement every 3-years like clockwork. Been doing that for 30+ years and never been stranded by a dead battery...that includes the wife and kids cars.

can
like
dead
Same here. Lately been buying them at SAMS or COSTCO. Only difference is that I have been doing it for 50 years and I get a lot more than 3 years out of them.

I'm sure they will go longer than 3 years on average. But why push it for the cheap $$$ and ultimately increase the risk that it will fail at a inopportune time (or in a bad part of town).

really
an
is
I agree. I just am not very good about keeping records about when I need to replace them <G>
Rich256 wrote:

I've got an Optima in a GM " toe mount " battery tray, the clip just barely grabs, you could grind away some of clip's center to accomidate Optima's curved cell , or buy a Universal Battery hold down.
Check that battery tray bolts are secure, as Optima's are heavy.
This confirms what I learned while working at an auto parts store in highschool: the only difference between a 24 month battery and a 36 month battery was the price! I mean literally. Yet, I am forever hopeful that higher price means better wine....
Ed

cheapest I can

3-years like

a dead