Been looking at some cars...Jap vs America

Page 1 of 2
I been looking at cars here and there...and to be honest the japanese cars are starting to actually look really nice in body style. I am looking at 2
door coupes thats are sort of Sporty. V6 with good performance. I have always owned American ...but damn...what do they now have to offer...Ford Fusions? The Fusion looks like a japanese car 10 years ago! The Pontiac G6? The 4 door version looks japanese 15 years ago, the coupe is just looks unfinished and looks jacked with 5 inches of air between the wheel wells and tires, and the convertible looks ok with the top up, but damn with the top down it looks like a bathtub on 4 wheels. My only options with American is either the 260hp Solstice due out next year or the Monte Carlo SS. The problems are I really dont want anything as small as the Solstice so it is not a perfect fit for my everyday driving and the Montecarlo now has a V8 in the SS, I prefer not getting a v8 because gas could go up at anytime, not only that a lot of the Japanes v6s are matching and beating the HP and almost the torque the GM v8 is putting out, and beating 1/4 mile ET times as well. And the MonteCarlo only comes with an auto trans. American cars in my opinion are in a sad state of affairs for the sporty coupe in a v6 while the japanese are making them all day. What does America have coming out that is really desirable? Why can't America make something like this?http://www.infiniti.com/g_coupe/key_features/performance.html
What does America have coming out that is

I havent seen anything that appeals to me either. We are going to buy soon, and I expect it to be an Avalon or Camry.

Rethink everything, the ad says. I did, and bought a Hyundai Sonata Limited. Before you make a final decision. take a peek at them. The Azera is also a lot of car for the money. My first consideration was an Avalon Limited, but it was $11,000 more that what I bought instead.
wrote in message

I think the new Elantra is slightly better looking, but looks are subjective. I have to agree, I'd rather buy American, but my first priority was to buy what was right for me. Over the years, I've had three German cars, two Ford products, fourteen GM cars, no Chrysler, no Japanese. If you asked me April 1 if I'd buy a Buick I'd have said, yes, in a couple of weeks. Then the transmission stopped transmitting so a new car was delayed. Fixed that and in June, another $800+ in repairs. Then another rear window lift broke. (both rear windows are propped up with wood)
If you asked me on September 1 if I'd buy a Hyundai, I'd have laughed at you. I bought it on September 16, when a problem with my Buick came back again. . Right now I have 5200 trouble free miles on the Sonata. Take a good look at he fit and finish, both inside and out. Perfect.
I think you'll be happy with the Elantra.
wrote in message

Tha Elantra it is...What a GREAT car...Seattle Blue,Gray Intreior...Will probably wait till after Christmas to get it but have tried it out and LOVE it...

wrote in message

If you like the Elantra, take a look at the Kia Optima. Looks even better than the Elantra. It's a couple of thousand more but has about 30 more HP. Gas mileage is about the same. Same warranty.
-
Grappletech wrote:

I was recently given a Kia Optima as a rental car, it was a 2005 with 14k miles and it buzzed like a lawnmover, I kept hitting my knees on the dash and head on the handle above the drivers window, it would shift to second gear before getting through an intersection and bog down so I ended up having to drive like a manual just to get it going. It got a little over 20mpg on my 20 mile trip to and from work. My v8 4x4 truck gets 18-19mpg on that same drive so gas milage for that pos car wasn't anything special. The constant vibration when idling would make my hands go numb after just a couple stop lights. It was the worst vehicle I've driven in a long time. My wife's 2001 impala was an ex rental car and we got it with 16k miles on it and it was so much smoother and quieter. Got 75k on it now and I just replaced the brake pads for the first time so I haven't needed to do any maintenance on it at all.
wrote in message

Plus the Sonata and its Kia corporate sibling, Kia Optima, both look a lot better than the Accord/Camry. Plus they have 6 airbags, 100,000 powertrain warranty, and are a lot cheaper than the Accord/Camry. We have a '05 Kia Sedona. No problems yet, after 15K miles. Not even a check engine light. The Korean cars still have a negative perception of build quality, but they've gotten a lot better, so this negative perception is no longer accurate. I think Hyundai even made the most reliable list on JD Powers?
-
wrote in message

We drove the Azera, actually. It looked really nice, seemed to be well put together. It lacked the absolutely smooth ride that I would like to have, but was very comparable to a Buick, let's say. There was just a trace of jitter, but we only drove one, and it could have been that particular car.
I remember in 1989 I was interested in a Thunderbird, but the first one I drove was very disappointing. The dealership assured me it was probably just a tire issue, balance. I drove several more at different dealerships. They all had the jitters, some worse than others. So I passed.
Maybe it is time to try another Azera '

I've not driven the Azera so I can't comment. The Sonata will outperform my LeSabre though. It does not ride as smooth and soft, but it is very acceptable even for long highway trips. You have to look at what the cars were designed to do rather than compare head to head. Then decide what fits your driving habits.
On my way home from work, the off ramp from the highway is fairly level with a right, then left sweeping turn. With the LeSabre, I can knock off the cruise control and hit the ramp at 65 for the first turn, then hit the brakes for the second turn at 40. With the Sonata, I keep the cruise on longer, hit the first curve at 70, then coast through the second at 50 with more stability than the Buick.
That does not make the Buick a bad car, it was designed to appeal to older, less likely to corner hard drivers. The 2001 LeSabre still outperforms the mush bucket 97 I had.
wrote in message

dont fit the bill.
wrote in message

the line by "his" above.
Be sure to compare total drive home prices on whatever you decide to buy. The Fusion out scored the 2006 Camry and Accord in CRs recent survey of owners. CR also pointed out the Fusion and Milan V6s sells for thousands less that the Camry or Accord V6. In the case of the Camry, the Fusion V6 is even less than a 4cy Camry.
mike hunt

The Fusion is not much to look at.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say and $4,000 can make a car 'look' better ;)
mike

Lt., you would look good driving a Ford Mustang.
says...

The jap v6's that try to run against GM's v8's are not making better gas mileage and they still fall well short on power output.

News to me. Are they the same class, weight, size, and seating capacity?

The G35's gas mileage is worse than a WS6 Firebird that made more hp and torque back in 2002. I thought it was more advance? Now GM v8's are making 400hp or better and gas mileage is as good as the current g35. If you dont mind owning something with obscure & overpriced parts have at the G35. No idea what your needs are (doubt you are racing) but I'm sure a Grand Prix GT would suit every one of your daily needs just fine and it will cost less to insure and own in the short and long run.
says...

Ford Mustang is like 65 percent american made included Canada. The window sticker will say what the parts content is.

Have a good look at the Toyota 3.5L V6. It's way ahead of GM's dated designs and has all the power anyone legally needs.
"Scott" <homealone.com>

The Grand Prixs are ugly now...they look like Hi-top tennis shoes. Now the previous coke bottle shape GPs were nice looking, but GM as ussual took 2 steps back in the styling dept.