Been looking at some cars...Jap vs America

I been looking at cars here and there...and to be honest the japanese cars are starting to actually look really nice in body style. I am looking at 2 door coupes thats are sort of Sporty. V6 with good performance. I have always owned American ...but damn...what do they now have to offer...Ford Fusions? The Fusion looks like a japanese car 10 years ago! The Pontiac G6? The 4 door version looks japanese 15 years ago, the coupe is just looks unfinished and looks jacked with 5 inches of air between the wheel wells and tires, and the convertible looks ok with the top up, but damn with the top down it looks like a bathtub on 4 wheels. My only options with American is either the 260hp Solstice due out next year or the Monte Carlo SS. The problems are I really dont want anything as small as the Solstice so it is not a perfect fit for my everyday driving and the Montecarlo now has a V8 in the SS, I prefer not getting a v8 because gas could go up at anytime, not only that a lot of the Japanes v6s are matching and beating the HP and almost the torque the GM v8 is putting out, and beating 1/4 mile ET times as well. And the MonteCarlo only comes with an auto trans. American cars in my opinion are in a sad state of affairs for the sporty coupe in a v6 while the japanese are making them all day. What does America have coming out that is really desirable? Why can't America make something like this?

1st Lt. Hanley

I havent seen anything that appeals to me either. We are going to buy soon, and I expect it to be an Avalon or Camry.

Reply to
hls

Lt., you would look good driving a Ford Mustang.

Reply to
Scott

The jap v6's that try to run against GM's v8's are not making better gas mileage and they still fall well short on power output.

News to me. Are they the same class, weight, size, and seating capacity?

The G35's gas mileage is worse than a WS6 Firebird that made more hp and torque back > Lt., you would look good driving a Ford Mustang.

Ford Mustang is like 65 percent american made included Canada. The window sticker will say what the parts content is.

Reply to
HeatWave

You're wrong. Have a good look at the Toyota 3.5L V6. It's way ahead of GM's dated designs and has all the power anyone legally needs.

Reply to
who

Rethink everything, the ad says. I did, and bought a Hyundai Sonata Limited. Before you make a final decision. take a peek at them. The Azera is also a lot of car for the money. My first consideration was an Avalon Limited, but it was $11,000 more that what I bought instead.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As they so often do, the US makers all but abandoned that market when it started declining in volume. Ford is said to be about to do the same with minivans and GM might just as well have left the minivan market considering how uncompetitive it's vans are.

Sporty two door V-6 coupes? The Honda Accord EX V6 coupe is kind of a sleeper and you can get them at a good price, but still a little bland. The Camry/Solara is even more boring IMO. The G35 is indeed a nice vehicle in that niche. Nothing with a US nameplate is close to being real competition for the G35.

The only US model worth consideration is the Mustang, which is a vehicle you either love or hate. Rather too retro for my taste. I guess the Pontiac G6 is in the mix, but it already screams Rental Car from the mountaintops. The Monte Carlo is a joke. The Impala is a better vehicle but still nothing special and of course is the four door version. Where is the modern day equivalent to a 2 door Nova, Dart, Tempest, etc. ???? The US makers have abandoned the mid-sized sporty 2 door coupe business all together.

If I absolutely had to have a US nameplate 2 door sporty coupe I would find the cleanest used final generation Cadillac Eldorado I could put my hands on. This is another vehicle with a once proud heritage which GM allowed to simply wither and die.

John

Reply to
John Horner

The G35Coupe is a great car. What has stopped me from getting one is the requirement of super gas and because it only gets 19 mpg. Check the parts prices as well. New rotors for those Brembo brakes are not cheap. As a rule of thumb, the small but H/O engines require super gas and get terrible mileage. You would be better off with a Mustang or Vette.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reply to
benick

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:K448h.5012$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

Plus the Sonata and its Kia corporate sibling, Kia Optima, both look a lot better than the Accord/Camry. Plus they have 6 airbags, 100,000 powertrain warranty, and are a lot cheaper than the Accord/Camry. We have a '05 Kia Sedona. No problems yet, after 15K miles. Not even a check engine light. The Korean cars still have a negative perception of build quality, but they've gotten a lot better, so this negative perception is no longer accurate. I think Hyundai even made the most reliable list on JD Powers?

Reply to
grappletech

I think the new Elantra is slightly better looking, but looks are subjective. I have to agree, I'd rather buy American, but my first priority was to buy what was right for me. Over the years, I've had three German cars, two Ford products, fourteen GM cars, no Chrysler, no Japanese. If you asked me April 1 if I'd buy a Buick I'd have said, yes, in a couple of weeks. Then the transmission stopped transmitting so a new car was delayed. Fixed that and in June, another $800+ in repairs. Then another rear window lift broke. (both rear windows are propped up with wood)

If you asked me on September 1 if I'd buy a Hyundai, I'd have laughed at you. I bought it on September 16, when a problem with my Buick came back again. . Right now I have 5200 trouble free miles on the Sonata. Take a good look at he fit and finish, both inside and out. Perfect.

I think you'll be happy with the Elantra.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We drove the Azera, actually. It looked really nice, seemed to be well put together. It lacked the absolutely smooth ride that I would like to have, but was very comparable to a Buick, let's say. There was just a trace of jitter, but we only drove one, and it could have been that particular car.

I remember in 1989 I was interested in a Thunderbird, but the first one I drove was very disappointing. The dealership assured me it was probably just a tire issue, balance. I drove several more at different dealerships. They all had the jitters, some worse than others. So I passed.

Maybe it is time to try another Azera '

Reply to
hls

Sounds to me like you should drive and price a Mustang V6. Anything the import brands offer that compare, with the same equipment, will costs thousands more to drive home. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Be sure to compare total drive home prices on whatever you decide to buy. The Fusion out scored the 2006 Camry and Accord in CRs recent survey of owners. CR also pointed out the Fusion and Milan V6s sells for thousands less that the Camry or Accord V6. In the case of the Camry, the Fusion V6 is even less than a 4cy Camry.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Something to top your g35 coupe...Mustang GT, plenty of power and styling. How about a Cadillac CTS. Power styling available manual or automatic, and probally cheaper than the G35. If you really want to step it up to styling performance and American my favorite the pontiac GTO. For about 33 grand you can take this home. 6.0 V8 400HP! leather and blaupunkt stereo. Here is my opinion go american and stay american and my question is why cant those japs make something with a V8 like this

http://www.p> I been looking at cars here and there...and to be honest the japanese cars

Reply to
Ray

I've not driven the Azera so I can't comment. The Sonata will outperform my LeSabre though. It does not ride as smooth and soft, but it is very acceptable even for long highway trips. You have to look at what the cars were designed to do rather than compare head to head. Then decide what fits your driving habits.

On my way home from work, the off ramp from the highway is fairly level with a right, then left sweeping turn. With the LeSabre, I can knock off the cruise control and hit the ramp at 65 for the first turn, then hit the brakes for the second turn at 40. With the Sonata, I keep the cruise on longer, hit the first curve at 70, then coast through the second at 50 with more stability than the Buick.

That does not make the Buick a bad car, it was designed to appeal to older, less likely to corner hard drivers. The 2001 LeSabre still outperforms the mush bucket 97 I had.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Very funny, if you really want something American, buy an Australian car.

John

Reply to
John Horner

He said he wants something Sporty in a 2 door coupe. Hyundai and Camery dont fit the bill.

Reply to
Hickabob McCrane

The Fusion is not much to look at.

Reply to
Hickabob McCrane

offer...Ford

The Grand Prixs are ugly now...they look like Hi-top tennis shoes. Now the previous coke bottle shape GPs were nice looking, but GM as ussual took

2 steps back in the styling dept.
Reply to
Hickabob McCrane