Belt tensioner

94 Blazer S-10 model, 4.3L V6 w/AC. Have factory service manual. During changeout of power steering pump, manual says to ease up the belt tensioner by loosening the center bolt and turning the tensioner
counter-clockwise. The belt tensioner's pulley rides between the alternator and AC pulleys, and pushes the serpentine belt straight down between these 2 pulleys. Attempting to rotate the tensioner counter-clockwise or clock-wise just increases the tension. At mid-travel, least tension, cannot remove serpentine belt either. That's the way I found the tensioner to begin with.
Left with no choice but to remove the bolt holding the tensioner. And, sproing, out pops the tensioner, the bolt and washer, a heavy duty spring and its housing. Later, I found a ball bearing around 3/4" in diameter, does this go to the tensioner as well? Noticed a few metal shavings at the tensioner's mounting bolt mounting location on that housing. May be stripped at the beginning of the thread of this mount location. Should I replace the tensioner?
Power steering pump replacement went okay. PITA removing and installing the pulley for that though.
--
Jonny

Yes replace it. They shouldn't come apart like that.
Done. Son-in-law mechanic said same thing. He also said the factory service manual was incomplete in instructions regarding the belt tensioner.
--
Jonny