Belt tensioner

94 Blazer S-10 model, 4.3L V6 w/AC. Have factory service manual. During changeout of power steering pump, manual says to ease up the belt tensioner by loosening the center bolt and turning the tensioner counter-clockwise. The belt tensioner's pulley rides between the alternator and AC pulleys, and pushes the serpentine belt straight down between these 2 pulleys. Attempting to rotate the tensioner counter-clockwise or clock-wise just increases the tension. At mid-travel, least tension, cannot remove serpentine belt either. That's the way I found the tensioner to begin with.

Left with no choice but to remove the bolt holding the tensioner. And, sproing, out pops the tensioner, the bolt and washer, a heavy duty spring and its housing. Later, I found a ball bearing around 3/4" in diameter, does this go to the tensioner as well? Noticed a few metal shavings at the tensioner's mounting bolt mounting location on that housing. May be stripped at the beginning of the thread of this mount location. Should I replace the tensioner?

Power steering pump replacement went okay. PITA removing and installing the pulley for that though.

Reply to
Jonny

Yes replace it. They shouldn't come apart like that.

Reply to
scrapir

Done. Son-in-law mechanic said same thing. He also said the factory service manual was incomplete in instructions regarding the belt tensioner.

Reply to
Jonny