Best and worst gasoline in the US?

Page 2 of 3
My GTO likes Unocal 110 octane with lead. mmmmmm....... 110 octane....drool... GW
Helmet Head wrote:

Nothing beats the sweet smell of leaded gasoline. I wish more places carried it around here and it wasn't $3.99 a gallon ...

Dennis Smith
This is only my personal observation:
Worst - Texaco, any grade. Every fuel related problem I've ever had in a gas vehicle has always been preceeded by a tankful of Texaco gasoline. And it doesn't ever seem to matter what grade I put it or what station I've gotten it from. After fuel issues with three seperate vehicles over the years from Texaco gas (two pickups and my Harley), if I ran out of gas in the parking lot of one of their stations I would hitchhike to almost any other place before I bought more fuel there. Honestly, I won't even use it in my lawnmower.
Best - Don't really care anymore, I drive a diesel!
Cheers - Jonathan

Helmet Head wrote:

Best Regular: $1.28 gal Worst REgular: $1.79 gal Best Premium: $1.69 gal Worst Premium: $2.15 gal Other than that, they are all the same.
Best gasoline .. . the station that has the newest underground tanks! All tanks collect sludge, water and oxidation; which is why they have to be periodically dug up and replaced (E.P.A. regulations). Hydrogen or "fuel cell" technology suffers from unsolved problems: 1) non-migrating tank designs needed; 2) distribution stations and 3) power needed to separate hydrogen from water etc. (e.g. "fusion" power). My guess, hydrogen power is 30 years off at best. Most of the "Air" about fuel cell technology is just that .. .

Ok Bill, read and weep: http://www.airproducts.com/index.asp
--
~~Philip

cantankerous | kan-TANG-kruss | adjective: difficult or irritating to

What's to weep about? Oh, you must mean the huge federal subsidies that are underwriting this highly inefficient method of vehicle propulsion. Since you are such an expert, why don't you get us the figures on how much energy it takes, per mile of vehicle travel, when you include all the upstream events it requires to get this hydrogen into the fuel tanks of these cars.
In wrote:

How about doing your own research .... o' lazy one. ;-)
--
~~Philip

cantankerous | kan-TANG-kruss | adjective: difficult or irritating to
In

During the course of automotive history, there have been LOTS AND LOTS of ideas that failed simply because the metalurgy was so lagging or perhaps computer input was necessary to make the idea work well. So, give me a break. BTW, I am looking at an article from Air Products and Chemicals about a Chevy El Camino powered with hydrogen back in 1967. Fast forwarding to today, there are fleets of busses running hydrogen here in California.

Wankel engines from GM ... no. Wankel engines from MAZDA, yes and *hell yes! Ceramic engines are with us now ... in case you have been living under a bridge. Porche, Mercedes, and others have "ceramic engines" but perhaps the definition of "ceramic" needs to be clarified. I do not recall "Comprex."

You need to get involved with government social programs for *real* wasted money on a HUGE scale.
--
~~Philip

cantankerous | kan-TANG-kruss | adjective: difficult or irritating to
In

In case *your* memory is weak, only Mazda made Wankels work in production ... which is all that matters. (NSU, Hercules, Suzuki, Norton and others not withstanding.)

Nobody's ceramic coated combustion chambers and pistons ran without water, air, or oil cooling beyond a brief test of the concept.

Scarcely a drop in the bucket compared to social welfare entitlements and education. California is up-side-down $36 Billion all by itself, let alone these few Federal examples:
Details of 2003 budget requests from various Federal agencies:
Commerce Department - $5.3 billion NOAA - $3.3 billion Department of Defense - $379 billion Department of Education - $56.5 billion Department of Energy - $21.9 billion Health & Human Services/FDA - $1.73 billion HUD - $31.5 billion Department of Interior - $10.6 Billion State Department - $25.4 billion Department of Transportation - $59.3 billion Veterans Administration - $58 billion EPA - $7.7 billion
--
~~Philip

cantankerous | kan-TANG-kruss | adjective: difficult or irritating to

Can you read prototype?

No, I mean engines with ceramic block and head! Go do your homework and get back later.

A drop of a billion is still a billion wasted. No, thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@mailandnews.com (Neo) wrote:

What's a "Wenkel." I've owned a car with a Wankel, but never heard of a "Wenkel."
And if you want pipe dreams that were unstreetable, you'd better aim at the turbines from the '60s and '70s. They even had prototypes of a Corvette turbine as well.

I just checked, and a web site claims that the Miller-cycle engine is a Comprex engine. Another listed turbocharged engines as "Comprex." It seems that there isn't even a standard definition I could find, but the ones that mentioned "Comprex" all had references to engines that did make it into mass production.
I'd never heard of "Comprex" before, but I find it ironic that someone that misspells Wankel twice (even after someone else uses the correct spelling in a post they respond to) insults someone else for their vocabulary.
Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

So, you want to be picky? How about writing it right in your sarcasm, like WNKEL?

A pipe-dream is always a pipe dream.

Then read it over. A Miller-cycle engine requires a pressurized charge, whether it's through a turbine propelled by the exhaust gases, a supercharger or a Comprex device.

Again, sharpen your reading skills or lose the ignorant references you've consulted.

It sure did, for a couple of years in a handful of Diesel engines, primarily.

And I find it ironic that someone who's never heard of somthing thinks to be knowledgeable about it after reading a couple of web pages about it...
snipped-for-privacy@mailandnews.com (Neo) wrote:

I never claimed to be knowledgeable about it. I just reported what I found. It seems that your reading comprehension is about as good as your knowledge of the Wankel. You've just been spouting that everyone else is wrong, but provided no information. Please define "Comprex" or at least point us to a web site that does explain it in the manner you like..
Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Without any critical thinking...

Just point in any of my postings in this thread your evidence is for this statement.

Not everyone else, just you...

Do your homework yourself.
I picked Comprex as an example of a hyped technology that was touted as the next greatest thing with no compelling evidence or even contrary evidence, as fuel-cell nowadays, which is just nowhere to be seen today. If you can't understand this and insists on picking how to spell this or that or how this or that technology really works, start another thread.

Yeah, right. As if I had to... Those who know about it don't need any information...

Cry baby...

IIRC, Chrysler were going to release a turbine, and scrapped it *DAYS* before introduction to the North American market as a condition of the loan the US Gov't gave them. Apparently, the serious problem with a turbine was heat dissipation, and they had that solved as well. No, I'm not one for conspiracies, but I certainly could see the USA telling Chrysler to stop with these technologies lest GM and Ford whine about how the USA were funding new technology rather than supporting an American company.
Too bad. I'd love to see something the size of a Neon (or Metro!!) getting ~250 BHP, burning the greenies favourite ethanol
Vuarra

Why? They are doing quite well with making it from natural gas or methane.
Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Why bother? If you have natural gas or methane, just use that instead.
--
Matthew T. Russotto snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net
snipped-for-privacy@grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

Eventually, the sources of the hydrogen may change, but the actual fuel would remain constant. One infrastructure from production to use. The only things that change are up to the production.
Not that I think that is or is not sufficient, but I'm just answering your question.
Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"