Best Brand of Transmission Fluid ???.

I Have a 1986 Cadillac Deville FWD and I am going to change the Transmission Fluid myself. I went to the store and looked at Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Chevron Dextron 3 and Castrol Dextron 3. What is the Best Transmission Fluid. Brian - Las Vegas

Reply to
Captain Crane

You mean to say you went to a store that actually had 6 different brands of trans oil? That's incredible.

When my trans mane rebuilt mine they used Kendall oil. When I change it I get what Wal - Mart decides to stock that particular month. Last time I think I got Castrol tans oil, another time before that it was Penzoil. And when they didn't have enough quarts for my change in 2001, I got it at the dealer where a buddy works at.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 302,676 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Keep looking until you find Dexron.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

If you want the best commonly available Dexron III, may I suggest Mobil1 ATF. Pricey stuff, but maybe what you're looking for in the heat of the Nevada desert, being a full synthetic fluid.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

An excellent conventional Dexron at a bargain price is the Chevron Dexron 3 marked "Specification H" on the front of the bottle. This is the latest version which was released last year or so. Some stores still have oild stock which may not meet this latest tougher specification.

If you want to go top-shelf, find some Mobil-1 Dexron ATF, again looking for the latest Specification H stuff.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I heard Castrol Dexron 3 / Mercon was supposed to be very good. I looked on the Castrol Bottle but it does not say its a Level / Grade H or any codes like motor oil has.

Reply to
Captain Crane

grade H ???

Reply to