Best: Turbo 350 or turbo 400?

I am restoring a 47 Chevy pickup and want to put a automatic trans in this truck. In your opinion, which is better a T350 or T400? I have heard both ways and am not sure which I want yet..

DB wrote:

Depends on how much power/torque you are planning on putting through it. THM400 will take more torque, but the THM350 is lighter and more efficient.
You may want to consider a 2004R or 700R4 if you plan on driving the vehicle a lot. I know there are people who have strong opinions as to which is better, but I have no experience with either so I will reserve judgement.
Planned specs on the motor, tires, rear gear (if known) and driving plans for this vehicle may help us give you more specific advice.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The 400 is less efficient, but not a big deal in a hot rod. It is the absolute best transmission Chevy ever used that's not computer controlled. If gas mileage is important to you, the suggestions from nate are right on.
You should have told us what engine and what you are planning to use the truck for.
For what it's worth, I have a 73 Nova with a mild 454 in it. Runs 12.0 @ 113 MPH. Many years are on its 350 with no problems except for a leaking dip stick tube.
Al
DB wrote:

What is the intended use of the truck?
Want to get better mileage and still be able to drive it without problems put a 700R4 in it. No computer controls and you get overdrive and lower gear ratios to boot. http://www.700r4l60e.com/ Has them built to handle 750HP if needed.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

No one with sanity uses a 350 or 400 anymore if a 700R4 is possible. That extra gear means much better engine life, quietness and better mileage.

Did you know Debbie Harry's parents? They had a gift store outside the Baseball Hall for decades. I think they died recently.
RapidRonnie wrote:

I knew they owned Around the House. Last I knew it was still open. I try to stay out of that area, especially THIS weekend. I have been giving directions so many times I'm thinking about just painting a map on the side of the shop! Between the Jordanville wind farm site, the Jordanville Monastery and Cooperstown, I'll bet I can recite those in my sleep....
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

You missed it. The starter will only go where it goes. Look again and you'll find where it goes, right at the flywheel.

You're not saying that because of your starter confusion, are you?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

The starter bolts into the trans. bell housing, not on the engine like nowadays.

in b/h AND one into eng-bottom? What year is your 292? Seems as if I've replaced starters in ~1966-1968 pkps that bolted to engine--plus, again it *seems* they had 400 turbos-----been 30+ years, tho! Hope I'm right, as it'd be easier on you! s

to be cheaper, and you can make it shift crisp w/out buying a shift kit--Google & you'll probly find how; if not, email me & I'll try to remember where to drill those 2 holes bigger in the v-body plate! And if all you find is the really long tail-shaft one (375?), it's really a 400 w/a long tail-shaft! s

========== never heerd of either of those.....
srry.....me be'n a tranny tech and all...i'd like to help, but not being familiar with the options posted...
i must defer to brighter minds...
~:~ MarshMonster ~takes a toke.......tightens up the last convertor bolt on the thm400........mmmmm.....this ones gonna last forever......~ ~:~
DB wrote:

The Turbo 400 is by far the heavier duty unit. If either will fit, I would use the 400 without a doubt.
John