Bleeding hydraulic clutch

Hello group. I have A 94 geo prism 1.6 which I've replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate and had the flywheel resurfaced. I do not own a Pressure or vacuum bleeder. Can I bleed the clutch hydraulic system the same as the brake hydraulic system? I have tried gravity bleeding for 2-1/2 hours straight still nothing from the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. I have spent an hour s-l-o-w-l-y pumping the clutch, there are air bubbles escaping from the master cylinder when I pump but still nothing from the bleeder valve. There wasn't any pedal when I started the pumping procedure now there is a SLIGHT pedal, but nothing anywhere close to normal, and still nothing from the bleeder valve. Can I use A hand pump to draw fluid through the bleeder valve then resume normal bleeding procedures?

Thanks Dean Kamen

Reply to
Dean Kamen

The only luck I have had with 100% results every time was something that I dubbed reverse bleeding. I took a large syringe (modified turkey baster with some vacuum hose) and filled the system throught the bleeder on the slave cylinder. Pushed the bubbles out the master and all was good in about

30 minutes.

I think you may have luck with a vacuum pump, but I know my way works.

Reply to
Eightupman

That's exactly the way an injection bleeder works:

Jack the car up, so the slave bleeder valve is higher than the push rod. Then bleed again.

I hope this helps?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

The method that I use, which always works....is to first gravity bleed the system, which you've already done. Then you need to get an assistant to press the clutch pedal down...while you open the bleed screw. Make sure your helper keeps the pedal down until you have closed the bleed screw, then bring the pedal up and repeat.

If your slave cylinder is external, you can also force the plunger on the slave cylinder back into it's bore as far as it will go, then gravity bleed while holding the plunger all the way in. This just makes sure that any air that could be trapped in the cylinder will actually go out where the bleed screw is located.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I love it when I "accidently" figure something out after getting royally pissed at it and then finding out that I wasn't the first to do it!! So there is a specific tool that I need to invest in then? I really like my turkey baster! LOL

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

Thanks "Eightupman" I ended up buying A Vacuum Pump and pumped air out of this system for almost two hours Whew!! my hands are tired. I WILL try your way next time, it's gotta be a little easier :-)

Reply to
Dean Kamen

A valuable tool for all kinds of things. Your investment was sound regardless.

Reply to
Eightupman

If you want to spend over:

$300.00, be my guest! My Vacula works great and if I had my old refill container. I could pull fluid up from the slave cylinder!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King