Blown DIS Fuse on Lumina

Hi!
I have a '91 Chevy Lumina (3.1L) that will not start. The engine cranks, but that is really about all. I checked all the fuses and found that the "DIS" fuse under the hood blew. I replaced the fuse
with a new one of the same size (10 amp I think). I tried to start it again, but the fuse blew again.
I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to fix this. Any help is appreciated!!!
Thanks, Mike
I'm not familiar with the engine compartment wiring on that vehicle but I would begin checking it for a short. Specifically, look for any place where the wiring passes against a bracket of sharp part and then check for a hole in the insullation.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Blown DIS Fuse on Lumina Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Apr 28, 2007, 11:47am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Hi! I have a '91 Chevy Lumina (3.1L) that will not start. The engine cranks, but that is really about all. I checked all the fuses and found that the "DIS" fuse under the hood blew. I replaced the fuse with a new one of the same size (10 amp I think). I tried to start it again, but the fuse blew again. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to fix this. Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks, Mike
/?/?/?/?/?/?/?/?/?/?@@@@@@@@@@?/?/?/?/?/?/?/?/ You should never confuse the issue by injecting the truth. ~ unknown ~
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Mike..
Not a mechanic, just an old long retired electrical guy, so take what I say for whatever little it may be worth...
I *think* that the "dis" refers to the DIStributorless ignition system, so I'd be looking at the coil pack and wiring first.
Failing that, I'd unplug the cps - see if the fuse still blows. (of course the car won't start either). If the fuse doesn't blow replace the cps.
Take care.
Ken
Thank you very much for the information. You are correct; it stands for Distributorless Ignition System.
Quick question, does CPS mean the coil pack?
Thank you again for the response!
Mike

Crank position sensor rear of the block, r/s lower at crank centerline.

-
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPS is behind the coils, right? And the CPS is on the rear bottom of the engine, so that must mean that in order to check or replace the coils, they would be located on the bottom rear of the engine?
Thanks in advanced...
Mike