Bonneville AC Compressor says That's All Folks!

Well today when I took mother to the garden center for flowers the AC blew hot air for about a mile so I shut it off I Tried it again on the way home - about a 2 mile round trip - and still hot air was coming out.
No noises were heard. I shut the AC off seeing it wasn't working. I figured it might be low on freeon.
When we got home I looked under the hood. Turned the AC on - no click click was heard from the clutch engaging. smelled like rubber burning - and black dust like particles from the belt were flying around.
The clutch was turning in jerking 1/4 inch revolution and stopping and starting.
Looks like the cool rides are over.
Harryface 05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Harry Face wrote:

Not bad Harry! I hope mine lasts that long. NOw at 185k.
My '88 Pontiac 6000 with 123k had the compressor go out way back when the thing wasn't even 8 or 9 years old when my brother owned it. It started blowing white smoke inside... (I assume the freon escaping) Had the SES come on today for about two seconds for no reason - it's done that a lot, but usually it's on the highway, but today, it decided to do it at 30MPH. Oh well, it didn't run poorly during this time, so tough...