Bought a Toyota today.

We looked seriously at GMs, but ended up buying a Sienna. Same price or less than a GM minivan, even with the GMS employee price.

Side airbags standard all around, not on GM. 6 year powertrain warranty, not GM. High resale value, not GM. It is assembled in Indiana with 85% American componets and 10% Japanese. How about GM, Chinese built 3.5 V-6 engines ?

I am in full agreement that there is a quality perception issue with GM. There new products are almost at Japanese levels. Maybe next car.

Reply to
Howard Cohen

We all make mistakes Howard. No need to apologize. We assumed you'd decide to take the cheap route. You made it clear that looks and style weren't important to you. That's when it became clear that you'd opt for the Sienna. Ugh!

I've posted a link to some interesting feedback about those side airbags you boast about. I hope you're sitting when you read it!

Ummm, Howard, there's a reason for the need for that 6 year warranty. Didn't anyone tell you about that?

In Japan perhaps. Not here though. Buying a Sienna is a bit like buying a Lada in the old days.

Howard, they're waiting for you over at alt.autos.toyota. You can look forward to many years of posting with them, trying to find solutions to all your problems. Good Luck and enjoy the Sienna experience! To get you prepared for your adventures, I'll post a few informative links to owner feedback:

Here's a link to an ongoing report from a Sienna owner:

Here's another interesting site Howard:
And another:
And some interesting owner reviews:
And everyone's favorite "EdmundsdotCom" :
Yep, you got what you paid for Howard. Enjoy your new friends over at the Toyota forum. They're going to be hearing lots from you. ;-)

Howard, you've proven out that old adage yet again: "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." Enjoy your new "quality" Sienna. Heh, Heh!

Reply to
Cool Jet

Howard,

Would love to hear from you when you Sienna's odometer reaches 100,000 -

200,000 and 300,000 miles.

You've got to maintian !

Good Luck

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 33,138 91 Bonneville LE 305,222
Reply to
Harry Face

you should not have burst his bubble so quick....

a.k.

Reply to
a.k.

You have to maintain all of them nowadays. I took a look at the Sienna to see what Cool Jet and others object to about the looks. Admittedly, it looks like a sardine can with wheels, but ...to me...all the SUV's look like crap.

Reply to
<HLS

Reply to
Adam

yeah, that will be his loss when he has to drive 50 miles for a dealer and pay OUTRAGEOUS to ship parts from Japan. Just cause their built in Indiana dont mean we have all the parts for them

Reply to
Adam

Reply to
Weird

Reply to
Shep

The service record of the two GMC Jimmy's I have are making me think for the first time in my life of going non GM

Reply to
Tim & Linda

you have problems with your jimmys too?

Reply to
Adam

What is the first digit of the VIN on your Sienna, I have never seen a Sienna with a '1' only a '5'

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The vehicle that Toyota assembles in Indiana use less than 40% American made parts. The first number of the VIN is a '5.'

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The only american made parts are probally the antenna and maybe wheels.... Sucks to be them when it does come time for service, I'd still rather have a GM

Reply to
Adam

Well... I am happy for you. I guess the thing is that I am going to follow you as well in the near future and get a Sienna, not for the looks nor the style, but the reliability and security. Plain and simple. Only fools buy cars for their looks and style.

You see, I am the typical "joe-off-the-street" guy that GM wants desparately to have/keep as customer with their employee discount, whatnot promos and promisses. I am not a GM-fanboy like most posters here who seem to be blind to everything that is not GM: they live and die for GM. I am a simple guy, father of 4, a single income family who likes cars and vans. I need a family van. I need sometime reliable, because I cannot afford to be at the dealership every month and spend 4K a year in maintenance and repairs.

This is why I am considering a Sienna or an Odyssey. These are not much more expensive than a Venture. And there is, in my mind anyway, the perception (backed up by anecdotal evidence from friends and family who have these vans) that they do not break as much. Because they are more reliable, cost of repair is less of a worry for me (I did call dealers and found out that most major Toy and Honda parts cost the same or 5% more than GM and Ford, so I am not worried about that either).

Right now, I drive a 2000 Venture with more problems than I have the time to write about here. They all started 3000Km after my warranty expired (yes, 3000 KM!) and GM did not want to help me. I tried everything to convince them that it was not normal that a van maintained at the dealership for 4 years would break down so fast, so much.

Have I writen off GM altogether? No. But now I do not trust their products anymore, nor their aftersale customer service. I need peace of mind for myself and my familly and the only way I would consider a GM again is if they would have a longer, better warranty. Some time ago a poster suggested that GM should implement a 10-year warranty. Not a bad idea. I might go again with GM if their warranty was longer (say 7 or 8 years). Come on, GM, if you make great and reliable products, back them up! There is a perception that you build crappy cars and vans. You need to change this and the only way to do so is to put your money where you mouth is. If not, you will lose another customer. And another, and another, and so on...

Cheers

Reply to
Frank

If a warranty is what is important to you, consider this idea. Buy the GM vehicle that suits your needs. You can purchase a 100,000 mile extended service plan, even one that included all scheduled maintenance for far lower drive home price than many of GMs competitors and still have money left over to buy your fuel for a year or so. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Less than 40% could mean 0%, as well LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Glad to hear it. I guess there's no reason for you to hang around here anymore. Right....??

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Do you mean to say you believe him when he says he bought a Toyota for the same price as GMs 'X' plan? That should have been your first clue he was full of baloney. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The fact that he's full of baloney is obvious. As was the point of my post.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy