Brake lights not working '95 cutlass

Hi there,

I have a 95 cutlass(3.1) and the 2 main brake lights are not working. The third brake light does. I've checked the 4 main brake bulbs in the tail lights and they're fine. I've checked the fuse and it's fine.

Is it possible I have a bad switch on the brake pedal even though my

3rd light works? Any other ideas on what may be wrong? Possibly a ground wire? My hazard lights have been out for a long time, could it be related to that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Phil

Reply to
philthomas27

If your third lite is working, I'd assume that the brake lite switch is working. You are lucky because these switches are a PIA to change.

I'd suspect a wiring problem in the rear lighting harness. Check the connectors from the rear lights to as far as you can in the trunk. Get your hands on a volt meter or test light to check for battery voltage at the bulb sockets and the harness connectors.

Check for grounding problems. A ground wire from the harness should be attached to the body at some point, most likely in the trunk, not sure about your particular car.

Good Luck,

Dave in Columbus

Reply to
noone

Thanks for the help Dave. I'll look thru the wiring tonight after work. I'll let you know how it goes.

Phil

Reply to
philthomas27

I just got the Cutlass back from the mechanic. I couldn't figure it out. It turns out that it was the "turn signal wiring harness" inside the steering column had a short in it. Cost me $70 for the new harness and $100 for labor.

Thanks for your help anyway. I appreciate it.

Phil

Reply to
philthomas27