Brake rotor recommendation requested

Page 1 of 2
The original brake rotors on my 2002 Aurora have lasted many miles, but it's time to replace them.
If I buy new replacement rotors from a GM dealer will they be as good as the
originals?
no

My research shows that there are an incredible number of brake rotor suppliers offering a wide range of product offerings and prices. It makes my head swim.
What brand and product would you recommend for my machine?

If possible look for made in USA. The steel is stronger. Not looking for any semi-educated arguments either. Alot of the new foreign rotors recommend having them surfaced prior to first use.Don't say much for the quality does it?

Brembo.
Their OEM grade products are top notch and usually priced comparable to NAPAs ultra premium line.
Bought new Ultra Premium rotors from NAPA yesterday. Was expecting to see Made in the USA or Made in Canada on the boxes. Much to my bitter disappointment the labels said Made in China. I may have to look into the Bendix product next time.

Silver Surfer wrote:

Maybe the boxes were made in China? Or the labels?

If you bought it from NAPA, and it was made in China, chances are it is okay. Be sure you have it ground (machined, turned) and surfaced properly and that you install it according to best practices.
Chinese stuff isnt always s--t. But you can make crap out of anything.
Silver Surfer wrote:

Take those back. I got made in china ones from napa and put them on and I though I had left a caliper bolt loose and it was hitting a spoke on the wheel they made so much noise when stopping.

Your experience was an exception
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

This is 2008 - why in the world are you surprised to see that?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Not surprised at all. Just disappointed. My very strong preference is to buy American, but that is becoming an exceedingly rare experience in 2008.

Yup - and getting rarer. Now days it seems the big statement is "assembled in North America".
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
When it comes to motor vehicles it is easy to find American made vehicles, made with mostly American parts. 80% of the vehicles sold in the US by GM, and 85% in the case of Ford, are made here, as opposed to less than 40% of those with Japanese brand names of the grill, that are only assembled here of mostly import parts.
Do a search of the US Commerce Department site to discover which vehicles are made here and the percentage of American materials and parts, WBMS

How do you know it is time to replace them?

You would think they SHOULD be, but others here say no. It is, IMO, gravely important that the rotors you choose be properly machined and fitted, and that the wheels are meticulously torqued to the assembly. Just my 2 cents.
If someone approaches your car with an impact wrench to remount your wheels, have a "come to Jesus" talk with him.
I'm embarrassed to tell you that my rotors must be replaced because I neglected to check the pads, did not hear the warning chirp, and now metal to metal contact has occurred.
I will be the one doing the torquing. Do you recommend two stages of torquing or three?

(snip) I'll butt in and say 2 should be fine. Also, think long and hard to be SURE they are so damaged they must be replaced. It may be advisable to keep originals that are 94% flat than to even chance inferior quality that are 98% flat. Are you sure they won't clean up within specifications? Sometimes they can be resurfaced, clearing all but slight imperfection, remain in tolerance, and function quite safely and properly. May good decision-making be your friend. s
sdlomi2 wrote:

You guys are killing me, I've done hundreds of brake jobs (ex mechanic) and a rotor is a rotor is a rotor. It's not brain surgery, it's a vented rotor cut to a certain width, covered in oil and shipped here.
Buy the cheapest thing you can (usually ~15-30/rotor) and change them every brake job. The only ones that are expensive are the big truck hub/rotor pieces. It's more time consuming/expensive to turn rotors at this point than to replace them. Those Chinese can sure do it cheap.

Depends upon the rotor. Some are more expensive.
We can get them machined here for $15 or less, each.
A truck rotor can sometimes be machined several times before you get into thickness problems.
Similar to rebuilding calipers. A simple caliper rebuild can be very cheap. A new or rebuilt caliper set, with pads, etc, can also be pretty cheap.
Brent wrote:

I bought new rotors for my wife's car a year or so back. Napa only had the cheap chinese ones in stock so I took them. I thought I had left a bolt loose but could find nothing wrong, but the car when 'bank bang bang' really loud when applying the brakes. I took those chinese rotors back and they had the better ones in stock and those were fine. The brand new chinese rotors were worse than the 80k mile old rotors I was replacing.