Brake Wear Question

If I have 6mm of pad left on my front brakes after 30K miles what would a new set have in mm? Also, when do you change the pads? When having 2 mm or less?
TIA

Which vehicle are we talking about? You have 6mm (1/4") left on the outboard or inboard pad? Going to assume outboard. How is the friction material bonded to the backing? Rivets? Glue?
Replace your pads when the squealer rubs the rotor, or the friction material starts to fail. What I like to do is wait till it squeals, bend the squealer back so it doesn't make any noise, drive to the parts store for new pads and replace them within a week or two.
Steve
It's a 01 Impala with original GM pads.

Mileage?
2001, sounds like they should have been replaced by now anyways. I think you may have the only '01 Impala with factory pads. ;)
In any event, at 1/8" or less, they should be replaced.
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

Pads seldom wear evenly. Since the poster only gave one number, 6mm, I have doubt as to whether he checked every surface. He could well be under the 3mm limit on the inboard pad as viewed from the bottom. When you are this close and have that many miles, it only makes sense to go ahead and get the job done for the peace of mind.
Yes, Steve it is the original factory pads. I bought the car brand new in 01 and it now has 30K miles. Both fronts are at 6mm and both rears are at 7mm according to the mechanic. This is pretty good since I drive in the city all the time.

I have a 2000 Impala, and I just replaced all pads at 61000 miles, which I thought was remarkable since my Lumina (92) only got 30k out of front pads only. Roy