brakes

I would like to know to remove the rear drums from a 1988 gmc sierra 2500. Can I get some help?

Jack vehicle, remove lug nuts, kick wheel for 20 minutes to loosen, remove wheel, make sure parking brake is released and "back-off" the parking brake tensionor and/or star wheel (possibly accessible from behind the drum through a small slit in the shield), beat drum with hammer for 30 minutes, remove drum. Remember to put anti-sieze between drum/hub and wheel/drum when re-assembling so you don't have to beat on it with a hammer next time.

"Steve Mackie" wrote:
Jack vehicle, remove lug nuts, kick wheel for 20 minutes to loosen, remove wheel, make sure parking brake is released and "back-off" the parking brake tensionor and/or star wheel (possibly accessible from behind the drum through a small slit in the shield), beat drum with hammer for 30 minutes, remove drum. Remember to put anti-sieze between drum/hub and wheel/drum when re-assembling so you don't have to beat on it with a hammer next time. _______________________________________________________________
LOL. The voice of experience. Brings back memories of lying in St. Louis street slush banging on the back of that brake drum with a short sledgehammer for what seemed like a cold eternity.
Best regards to all DIYers.
Go into your local Speedy or Midas or whatever and get a free brake inspection. When they give you your estimate just say thanks and leave. It feels good believe me. My drums were siezed bad but they got them off for me god luv em.
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 22:44:08 -0400, "papatreetop"

Hehh hehh that's a good idea...
Brian