broken door handle suburban

hello, my first post on this site.

passenger side door handle is broke, i got some trim off, but how to I get behind the panel, I have a manual to get this far, but I am stuck. I could not find the search feature on this website, so I am sorry if this info is eslewhere, car is a 1999 chevy suburban :)

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: ScreenHunter_005.jpg | |Download:
opeldean

Document ID# 278594

1999 Chevrolet/Geo Chevy Suburban - 4WD

Trim Panel Replacement - Side Front Door Removal Procedure Tools Required J 38778 Trim Panel Remover

Caution Before servicing any electrical component, the ignition key must be in the OFF or LOCK position and all electrical loads must be OFF, unless instructed otherwise in these procedures. If a tool or equipment could easily come in contact with a live exposed electrical terminal, also disconnect the negative battery cable. Failure to follow these precautions may cause personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the door handle bezel. Refer to Door Handle Bezel Replacement . Remove the window regulator handle, as necessary. Refer to Window Regulator Handle Replacement - Door . Disconnect the power accessory switch mounting panel wiring connector, as necessary. Refer to Power Accessory Switch Panel Replacement . Remove the trim panel upper extension. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Upper Extension .

BEGIN SUPPLEMENTAL UPPER EXTENSION REMOVAL PROCEDURE HERE Trim Panel Replacement - Upper Extension Removal Procedure Tools Required J 38778 Trim Panel Remover

Remove the trim panel from the door by completing the following steps: Using the J 38778 , carefully pry the retainer from the door. Pull upward in order to release the extension from the trim panel. Remover the retainer from the extension. Installation Procedure Install the retainer to the extension. Install the extension to the door by completing the following steps: Insert the extension onto the trim panel. Align the retainer into the hole in the door. Push the extension until the retainer seats. END UPPER EXTENSION PROCEDURE HERE

RESUME TRIM PANEL PROCEDURE HERE

Using a flat blade tool, carefully pry off the trim panel armrest screw cover in order to access the screw. Remove the trim panel armrest screw. Using the J 38778 , carefully pry the retainer from the retainer seats. Disconnect the courtesy light connector, if necessary. Remove the trim panel from the door. Remove the courtesy lamp lens or the reflector.

Pull the retainers from the slot in the trim panel. Remove the retainers.

Installation Procedure

Align the retainer with the slot in the trim panel. Push to install the retainers to the trim panel. Install the courtesy lamp lens or the reflector.

Align the retainers with the holes in the door. Install the trim panel to the door by carefully applying pressure in order to seat the retainers. Install the window regulator handle, as necessary. Refer to Window Regulator Handle Replacement - Door . Install the power accessory switch mounting panel, as necessary. Refer to Power Accessory Switch Panel Replacement .

Notice Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the trim panel armrest screw. Tighten Tighten the trim panel armrest screw to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Insert the screw cover. Install the trim panel upper extension. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Upper Extension . Install the door handle bezel. Refer to Door Handle Bezel Replacement . Connect the negative battery cable.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

well, after staring at this. ...I ground out the alum. rivet that I drew the arrow on in my prior post.This allowed disassembly and access behind the panel that contained the door handle.the parts counter was closed as I was working on this on a sunday, I repaired the handle with epoxy and so far its beed holding. I got everything apart with a screwdriver

Reply to
opeldean

Yeah. Tool number J 38778 is a flathead. I wish they'd cut it out with all of these specialty tools.

Reply to
sbright