BUICK AD

I just saw a new BUICK ad in my Newsweek Magazine.

Head-on shot... very elegant.

But... the only text read; "Now with heated windshield washer fluid" ( or something like that )

I was embarrassed ! Not..."More Reliable" ...or"More Power".. or "Better Mileage" "Roomier?" "Affordable" ???

Nope....just "Hot Windshield Washer"

Is this the best that GM could say about their product ? WHO is running this store ?

Reply to
Anonymous

Heated WW Fluid was also played up in the TV commercials back in October & November for the Lucerne.

Your right, the magazine ad could of said a bit more about the car, especially seeing its a new model. I'm sure Buick has quite a few print ads they will be using throughout the year.

Some magazine article I read said the heated WW Fluid will be standard in all cars within ten years.

At least the ad didn't use a close up of three bikini clad teenagers with the Buick 100 feet further back & out of focus.

Speaking of Buick ads, back in 59 or 60 I forget which magazine it was, some representative of the magazine said the rear end styling of the fullsize Buick looked like a shovel. Which it did at that time.

Buick pulled all their ads from that magazine and did not advertise in that magazine for a long, long time.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 34,145 91 Bonneville LE 305,891
Reply to
Harry Face

I just saw a new BUICK ad in my Newsweek Magazine.

Most ads used to really play up chrome exhaust tips. I guess people got over that fad and are now on the heated ww.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

This kind of shit is one of the reasons I won't buy another just now.

In the Britannic sense, it is form instead of substance.

Reply to
<HLS

Perhaps they were worried about being called in for false advertising. So perhaps that left only heated washer fluid to talk about! ;-) Seriously, I think Buick is putting out some decent cars these days.

Reply to
jcr

Decent, maybe. Really good, doubtful.

Reply to
<HLS

Time will tell. I've seen the ad since this post. They also talk about the cooled seats too! ;-)

Reply to
jcr

It is doing exactly what they want. It has been noticed.

Reply to
why, me

QUICK...... "Lets go out and buy that car with the hot window washer" !!

yeah

Reply to
Anonymous

Yeah, it's right up there with the speed-sensitive automatic radio volume adjustment. I seriously doubt that "gimmicky" devices sell many cars since GM vehicles have been loaded up more than any other manufacturer for years with gimmicks and obviously we see that that isn't bringing in the crowds. Personally I usually find them more of an annoyance and disable the ones that can be disabled.

Reply to
jcr

Marketing 101.....You have to go with your strong points.....Heated washer fluid....yea, that's the ticket.....

Reply to
Bob Bitch'n

According to JD Power, they make better vehicles than all the Japanese competitors, save Lexus. Buick is ranked 4th on their long term reliability survey while Honda/Acura are ranked 9th and 10th.

From CNN.com's article "Fact Check: Are American Cars Really That Bad?"

"Reliability by the numbers: [According to] J.D. Power's surveys, the story for American luxury brands -- Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick -- is particularly striking.

Of those three brands Lincoln performed best in the 2005 survey, ranking third of all brands -- behind Lexus, as always, and Porsche -- with a score of 151. Buick was fourth overall with a score of 163, matching a score that earned Lexus a top ranking just two years earlier. Cadillac was fifth with

175 problems per 100 vehicles.

Nissan's luxury brand, Infiniti, ranked sixth on the survey while Honda's luxury brand, Acura, ranked 10th, lower than the American luxury brands.

In fact, Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick all out-scored Toyota's Toyota-branded and Honda's Honda-branded vehicles in the same 2005 J.D. Powers survey.

GM and Ford's non-luxury brands didn't do quite as well but the Ford brand and GM's Chevrolet came out above average.

See the table for the details but, as it turns out, a lot of Japanese brands -- everything from Mazda right down to Isuzu -- came off worse in the survey than the worst GM brand, Pontiac."

Reply to
Darren Toews

The superiority of current Japanese vehicles is more myth than fact. The fact is every manufacture is building good long term reliability models today.. The only real difference among vehicles today is style and price.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

and perception

Reply to
why, me

I would agree. I own a a 2002 BUICK Century.

Form, fit, and finish are superb. It's an excellent road car. and mileage is great.

In fact, I can't think of a negative thing to say about it. ( except maybe the potential intake gasket prob )

Unfortunately, GM hasn't figured out how to market it to "the Camry crowd"

Worse yet.... They've got a "winner" with the Century, got all the manufacturing, engineering kinks out, and they've dropped the model. ????

Reply to
Anonymous

Same here 2002 Century , only front brake pad and a battery within the last

90000 km or 56000 miles. Great car, I am not shy to put it beside a Camry or an Accord.

On the other end my Montana 2002 isn't that great, intake gasket done , front l/s wheel hub c/out (bad wheel sensor) Thermostat, A.C condensor, all within 65000 km or 40000 , paint problem at the hood, rear hatch and l/s fr door. Thanks to the ext.warranty

Gm is like Jekyll and Hyde.capable of the best and the worst

Reply to
Rick

I'm on my second Regal GS, had a 99, now have an 04. Fantastic car, and next to no problems. I'll be damn sorry when this one wears out, cause they don't build 'em anymore.

Reply to
Rob