Buick Century 2003 Braking problem..

Does anyone know if there is a 'known issue' with braking in the 2003 Century? My wife has had TWO ACCIDENTS in the 5 months since we bought the car, both resulting from the brakes failing to stop the
car... On the NHTSA defect investigation website I've found two reports of similar problems, but nothing wrt recalls, etc.
I dunno what to do or where to turn. I'm calling a lawyer tomorrow to see what my options are..
Any advice would be appreciated.
evadnikufesin wrote:

You could send the wife to driving school, or you could trade her in for a newer model.
---Bob Gross---
evadnikufesin wrote:

Um...I think you better talk to your wife. There isn't anything wrong with the brakes on these cars. But I do commend you for taking your wife's side.

Geez, don't divorce the woman just because of an accident or two!
Ian
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 05:10:10 GMT, "shiden_Kai"

A product liability laywer... NOT a divorce lawyer...
God I should know better than to ask about this shit on the usenet... It sure has turned into a shitheap in the last 10 years..
evadnikufesin wrote:

Hi...
Not my place to comment, but nevertheless I'm completely certain they were teasing you...
Take care.
Ken

And y'know.. they probably were.. but I have a hard time making jokes where the welfare of the mother of my children is concerned.. :-/

Oh, I'm doing that, too... The first mechanic said nothing was wrong... of course, that's the mechanic at the dealer where I bought the car, so I'm thinking a second opinion might be in order...
evadnikufesin wrote:

Yeah, seriously... I mean trolls like you talking trash like this, the quality has really gone downhill.
Seriously though: before you go calling your lawyer and complaining to the NHTSA, have you had a qualified mechanic evaluate the brakes for you? Before calling something defective, it's a good idea to ensure that the item is truly defective first. Once it's been verified that, yes, the brakes are marginal, and the problem is not the result of break wear or other maintenance issue, then you should proceed.
I'm assuming these were rear end collisions your wife had.
What were the road conditions like? Wet ? Dry ?
How fast was the car traveling?
Was your wife driving to close to the cars ahead of her?
Does the car have Anti Lock Brakes (ABS)?
Do you have over 36,000 miles on the brakes?
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~286,950 miles_~_~_
~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:16:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote:

Correct.
Dry. Hot weather.

55-60 MPH

Considering she was in another accident earlier this year she's been driving futher away from cars than even *I* do. According to her at least 60 feet behind the car in front of her. From my watching her drive I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 80 feet.

Nope.
Nope.
I didn't think the 03 Century was available without ABS.
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:17:20 -0400, "hyundaitech"

It is.. er... was...
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:17:20 -0400, "hyundaitech"

Hyundia
ABS is optional on the base Impala, Century & Regal.
I think the option is $600.00
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~286,950 miles_~_~_
I must have been spoiled in the land of Olds. I don't think I saw any GM car above the level of a Cavalier and 98 or newer at the Olds dealer where I previously worked that didn't have ABS. Thanks.

I don't think out of all the used 1998 to 2002 Century's and Regals I looked at, that I have seen one with out ABS. I would see a good number of them at Dealer only Car Auctions. Maybe most dealers around here order them with that option as part of a order package. Both 1998 Century's I have had, plus my friends 2000 Century are the "Custom" models, not the "limited" Charles
Forgot to say in my previous post ABS is optional for 04 & 05 as well as 03.