Buick Century...

Folks: Sanity check. I've got a 1999 Buick Century where the temperature guage is fluctuating all over the place. I'll be running real hot (red light) when going slow or stop and go. It'll fall back down to the middle range when moving faster (like on the highway)... But in general it moves all over the place.

The guy at the garage says the thing is full of corrosion and he wants to "rod it out" and when he got it apart, he said the reason the thing was so corroded was some seal was leaking air (manifold seal???), so now he wants to replace that too.

Questions: Does this sound plausible and what is a reasonable amount to pay? I think this is going to end up in the $900 range before its all over and this is just not in the budget... Thanks for any input!!

Reply to
Michael Moser

I'd start with a thermostat change and a flush &fill. Both easy to do for a DIY and inexpensive. (10$ for the thermostat and gasket + 10$ for a gallon of Prestone.

If the problem subsists, then trust your mechanic for his diagnostic.

Reply to
Daniel

Plausible? It's far to vague for me to pass judgement. "Rodding out the thing", isn't in any text book or on any certification test I have ever seen.

For all I know, the guy's gonna replace a $25 fan relay. GW

Michael Moser wrote:

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

The 3.1L engines commonly start leaking coolant from the intake manifold gasket. If you drive around with low coolant (especially Dex-Cool) for a long time, you can get corrosion problems in the cooling system.

If you get the gasket replaced, be sure it's with the new version that's supposed to hold up better.

I don't know about that $900 price, though it depends exactly what he proposes to do..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Or perhaps dont trust your mechanic. For 900$ get a second, or third opinion.

Reply to
Daniel