Buick LeSabre

My wife has decided that our '97 LeSabre ought to be replaced. We've recently had a problem with the exhaust system, plus there is some rust, and driving home today
a stone cracked the windscreen.
We will be looking for a later-year LeSabre and I've heard (thru these newsgroups, I think) that recent LeSabre's were not made to the same high standards (imo) of the 97 version or earlier.
Although if this article is anything to go on, I'd be very pleased..
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleIdD079 Full Test: 2000 Buick LeSabre
This describes the '97 model http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleIdD084
..although I don't agree. Mine has a dome light, for example.
Any suggestions?
tia Harry

I had a 97 also, and like it enough to buy a 2001. The 2001 is deteriorating so rapidly I bought a Sonata to replace it, a much better built car.
Partial list of problems: Heated seat died in 2nd winter (past 36,000 miles, sorry, not covered) Cruise control switch is held "on" position with a broken toothpick control lights on steering wheel all burned out both rear power windows are held in place with a wood prop transmission was rebuilt one side of ventilation system blows hot air, the other side cold air rear brake lines rotted out wheel bearing replaced
In addition, some more or less normal wear items such as an O2 sensor, ignition coils failed too.
| > My wife has decided that our '97 LeSabre ought to be | > replaced. We've recently had a problem with the exhaust | > system, plus there is some rust, and driving home today | > a stone cracked the windscreen. | > | > We will be looking for a later-year LeSabre and I've | > heard (thru these newsgroups, I think) that recent | > LeSabre's were not made to the same high standards | > (imo) of the 97 version or earlier. | | I had a 97 also, and like it enough to buy a 2001. The 2001 is | deteriorating so rapidly I bought a Sonata to replace it, a much better | built car. | | Partial list of problems: | Heated seat died in 2nd winter (past 36,000 miles, sorry, not covered) | Cruise control switch is held "on" position with a broken toothpick | control lights on steering wheel all burned out | both rear power windows are held in place with a wood prop | transmission was rebuilt | one side of ventilation system blows hot air, the other side cold air | rear brake lines rotted out | wheel bearing replaced | | In addition, some more or less normal wear items such as an O2 sensor, | ignition coils failed too.
Thanks for that! I'll stay with the '97