Buick Mispronounces its Own SUV's Name

This is the only funny post to this entire thread, except for mine of course.

Reply to
Paradox

Shouldn't that be "Fra-zhay"?

RichC

Reply to
Rich Clark

"Orientated" is actually a word. It's more commonly used in British English than in American English, but it most certainly is a word.

Go look it up on Webster.com

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Since we are making jokes, how about this:

It might be raining today, but yesterday you couldn't see the mountain at all because it was Rainier.

ha!

Reply to
Zach G

Next thing you'll be telling me that I'm wrong to pronounce the word GHOTI as FISH Everyone knows that GHOTI spells FISH, its so obvious!!!! GH - as in enouGH = F O - as in wOmen = I TI - as in staTIon = SH

Reply to
Jez

Um this may sound strange but Im from Texas and was just woundering......I cant seem to find any of this info in the glossary of my chilton....But ill go down and look on the walls in the toilet stalls at the bar ...If all this is really important Im sure it will be in one of them...:) Obviously some people just aint never been to a place where they call their oldest child Tater. Anyone know what happen to scrib/marsh? Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

... why, I believe you're *trolling*!

-Kenny

Reply to
Kenneth Crudup

I guess you've never run across the names "Taliaferro" and "Worcester", then.

(often pronounced "Tolliver" and "Wooster")

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Jorabi

FWIW, the movie "The List of Adrian Messenger" hinged on a plot device where a character spelled his name Brutenholm but pronounced it Broom.

Dick Evans

Reply to
Richard Evans

Me wrote in news:srhi- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.ash.giganews.com:

He does. He doesn't like America, in case you missed his subtlety.

Reply to
Dweeb

The vehicle was built in Canada...

Reply to
Junkyard Badger

But that's because they're speaking French. In French you say it "Etats-Unis" just as in English, one prounces the capital of their country "Pair-iss" instead of "Pair-EE."

The point still stands: People get to call their own names/cities/etc. whatever they want in their own language.

Reply to
Zach G

Yes I have. Care to know what I think of them? ;-]

--Aardwolf.

Reply to
Aardwolf

One of those overly ornate British words with needless extra characters (in this case syllables).

No sir, I don't like it.

--Aardwolf.

Reply to
Aardwolf

Actually, it's closer to run-EAR.

Duh-TRWA, but that's way too difficult for normal people to say.

Let's not forget Peer, South Dakota. I think the pronunciation of these entities is altered from the original for the same reason that we called them 'freedom fries' for a while.

Monty Python proved that repeatedly.

Reply to
The Real Bev

And I thought that the folks here in middle GA were the only crazy ones, where we have both a street and a county of "Hows-ton".

Peter ...who's on his way to Anchorage AK this summer...........

Reply to
Vee-One

Paradox wrote: This is the only funny post to this entire thread, except for mine of course:

That does it. Pdx is officially HF's Boy. HAHAHAHAHa

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address

Geoff Welsh

Have you driven a Buick lately? How do you know he's wrong?

Reply to
Scott in Aztlán

I found no humor in PDX's original post, which was off topic of course.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,068 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face