Buick Mispronounces its Own SUV's Name

Page 3 of 7
In part, Brandon Sommerville wrote:

You also implied that there was no pronunciation difference between "nova" and "no va," and that the car was marketed under a "bad name."
Yes, some jokers *did* instigate a widely circulated rumor that the car's name translated to "doesn't go." These were English-speakers/readers, of course. Spanish-speaking/reading people know their language well enough not to believe such sheer nonsense.

Not magical, but different. To say otherwise is rather bizarre. It reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit in which they spoof Celebrity Jeopardy, and the Sean Connery character deliberately mispronounces the category "An Album Cover" into "Anal Bum Cover."
On 9 Jan 2004 11:53:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Zach G) wrote:

When playing with names it's amazing what you can do.
--
Brandon Sommerville
remove ".gov" to e-mail
Zach G wrote:

That was one of several similar gags from this recurring sketch, including the pronunciation of '"S" Words' as 'swords' and the aforementioned 'Therapists' as 'the rapists.'
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:00:53 GMT, Brandon Sommerville

Are you that stupid? Read the link. Each sounds distinctly different.
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:48:50 GMT, Brandon Sommerville

Nope. Now I know you are an idiot. Ask someone who speaks the language, not a computer.

No. Proper names are pronounced the way the people who own them say they are. If the people of Montpelier, Vermont have decided by concensus that it's pronounced "Mont-peel-yer," then it is. That there may be some other place with a name that spelled the same but pronounced differently is irrelevant.
Thus, "Mount Rain-yeer."
Proper names may have specific ethnic and/or linguistic origins, but once they become proper names they are no longer common words in any one language. You can't tell someone how to pronounce his own name.
RichC
Yeah. Just ask Brett Favre. lol, GW
Rich Clark wrote:

Rich Clark wrote:

Sure you can, it's a free country.
Seriously, if the spelling supports the speaker's pronunciation in in neither the native language of original derivation nor the language of the speaker, then it's just plain wrong. As in cases like that you might as well decide the name Joe should be pronounced "Bruce".
However "Ranier" and "Montpelier", as used above, are not subject to that problem.
--Aardwolf.

I guess you've never run across the names "Taliaferro" and "Worcester", then.
(often pronounced "Tolliver" and "Wooster")
--
Matthew T. Russotto snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net
snipped-for-privacy@grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote:

FWIW, the movie "The List of Adrian Messenger" hinged on a plot device where a character spelled his name Brutenholm but pronounced it Broom.
Dick Evans
Matthew Russotto wrote:

Yes I have. Care to know what I think of them? ;-]
--Aardwolf.
snipped-for-privacy@grace.speakeasy.net (Matthew Russotto) wrote in message wrote:

No. It's Wooh-stuh.
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (KazamaSmokers) writes:

Tried "Beauchamp" lately?
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!

I have some neighbors who pronounce it as such. Meanwhile, a local branch of our county library refers to the name as "Beach-um." - jh
--
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you really really are a
stupid, inane, vapid and petty little piece of excrement.

True. As another example, everyone knows how Houston should be pronounced. Unless you're in Manhattan, where a street with that very name is correctly pronounced Hows-ton, not Hyooston.

And I thought that the folks here in middle GA were the only crazy ones, where we have both a street and a county of "Hows-ton".
Peter ...who's on his way to Anchorage AK this summer...........

Would that be pronounced Ahn-kor-azsh? ;-)
I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned one of the most widespread bastardizations of city names. Nobody except the hispanics properly pronounces the city of the angels, la ciudad de Los Angeles.
Roy Knable wrote:

I believe it's longer than that -- Ciudad de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula (sp). Maybe even more, but I got tired of googling.
--
Cheers,
Bev

And bein' dat I'm from Chicagah, I tink all tree of youse guys is goofier than that guy over by dere.
DN