Buick Mispronounces its Own SUV's Name

Page 4 of 7
snipped-for-privacy@noattbispam.com says...

Uh, we ain't nuttin' to be trowin' bricks eitha. A street in the River North is spelled Goethe. It should be pronounced Gert-ta, but we say Go- thee.
RLM (from Chicago)
Rich Clark wrote:

Actually, it's closer to run-EAR.

Duh-TRWA, but that's way too difficult for normal people to say.

Let's not forget Peer, South Dakota. I think the pronunciation of these entities is altered from the original for the same reason that we called them 'freedom fries' for a while.

Monty Python proved that repeatedly.
--
Cheers, Bev
In

Actually, most of us Vermonters call it Mont-pe-cu-li-ar.

I thought it was peculiar to find such great Chinese restaurants there.
RichC

There's a great little Irish pub/restaurant in Montpelier too. And a not-half-bad biker bar.

Well said. Elsewise all the people named "Wagner" that I have met would be pronouncing it as "Vahg-ner."
- jh
--
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you really really are a
stupid, inane, vapid and petty little piece of excrement.

Unless you're quarterback Joe Theismann. The story was that he and his family pronounced it 'THEES-man' until he became a serious candidate for the Heisman (HIZE-man) trophy, at which time he and Notre Dame's Sports Information Department began demanding that he be called Joe 'THIZE-man'. Which, of course, rhymes with Heisman.
http://www.115sports.com/120701.htm
But 1970 was a star-studded year for college quarterbacks, and he only finished second.
DMN

It should b pronounced any way they feel they would like to have it pronounced. This is America and the pronounced it according to American English standards. Do you have a problem with that? How much of an accent do you put on your Taco Bell orders? Frankly, I suppose I could cop your attitude when it comes to the Jaguar. Apparently they want it spoken in that true goofy and incorrect British way, but damned if I'm going to call it a "jag-yoo-war."
"BrandyAlexandre" wrote:

That's "jag-you-wah". -- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address
On 3 Jan 2004 18:49:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ruud) wrote:

Nope, it shouldn't. The vehicle is named for the mountain (volcano) in Washington State, and it's name is universally pronounced "rain-EER". That's the American pronounciation. If you want to hear it pronounced "ren-YAY" go to France.
(ruud) wrote:

Same deal with the beer.
--
Yours truly,
Some bozo

Actually, after having a few, it was collectively decided to call it reindeer beer.
--------------050900070605060703050508 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Dr Music wrote:

--------------050900070605060703050508--
--Snip--
Its just another troll, lets all ignore it and maybe it will go away.
;)

And you need no further proof beyond tonight's syndicated Frasier. the ultimate snob himself pronounced it Mt. "rain-EER." "On a clear day, you can even see Mt. Ranier." (speaking of the view from his apartment)
Slayah wrote:

Clear day in Seattle. Ha!
-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address
(ruud) wrote:

Since we are making jokes, how about this:
It might be raining today, but yesterday you couldn't see the mountain at all because it was Rainier.
ha!

Yeah, what were the writers thinking?!

Shouldn't that be "Fra-zhay"?
RichC

Don't bet on it. The French call the US 'etats-unis' and abreviate it E-U.