Buick Mispronounces its Own SUV's Name

You guys have this all wrong with all the references to the mountain. The vehicle was named after Rainier Wolfcastle from the Simpsons.

Simply viewing any episode with him in it clearly yields the correct pronunciation. :)

Reply to
Rutger6559

But the car was not named No Va. It was named Nova, which means the same thing in Spanish as it does in English.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Same thing as in English, a star that suddenly changes in intensity.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Actually, EE.UU. Double letters because the words they abbreviate re in plural forms.

Reply to
Neo

And in Philadelphia ("filalfia"), Missourri ("mzurruh"), Toronto ("tronno"), and Newark, New Jersey ("Nork, N'jeyzy")

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

And there's some magical pronunciation difference between the two?

Have you never heard someone say in English that it's a "Nogo"?

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

What dialect of French is that?

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

So what? The urban legend, which is that people in Mexico (them dumb furriners) didn't buy the car because they thought the name meant "no go", isn't credible. It's been pointed out that it doesn't mean that and that there is a word that it matches exactly and means something different.

Did many people in the US buy a Yugo because it kind of sounds like "you go"?

Brian Rodenborn

Reply to
Default User

Only if you are an uneddicated hoosier. The rest of us say, "mzurree".

Brian Rodenborn

Reply to

No, 'new' is 'nuevo' in Spanish. Babelfish offers "It novates" which is nonsense. I'm surprised. Babelfish is generally better than that.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Big difference: 'nova' is pronounced 'NO-va' and 'no va' is pronounced 'no-VA.'

Only when talking about a Yugo.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Neo-French, a variant of Pseudo-French.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Wrong, genuis. It's Mount ren-YAY.

Reply to
schumy

Explodes. :-)

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

No one would have suddenly *not* bought the car due to the name, but a bad name can lower sales. This is why the muscle cars were named Mustang, Firebird, Barracuda, etc.... Do you think that the Mustang would have sold nearly as well if it had been named the Holstein?

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

Spoken exclusively by stutterers?

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

That's a supernova. Not the same thing.

Reply to
Roy Knable

Let's fly out there. I wanna see everyone laugh their ass off at you.

RLM

Reply to
RLM

No it isn't. I was in a hotel room and I think they used babelfish to translate the guest service directory. It was talking about using the control on the wall to regulate the unity of the airconditioned. Plus the keyboard on the computer was setup wrong. It was set to french, but didn't match the layout of the keyboard. I just set it to english and typed blindly.

Reply to
Bill 2

Well said. Elsewise all the people named "Wagner" that I have met would be pronouncing it as "Vahg-ner."

- jh

Reply to
John Hibbert