Buick Mispronounces its Own SUV's Name

Page 5 of 7
snipped-for-privacy@buick.com wrote in message

But that's because they're speaking French. In French you say it "Etats-Unis" just as in English, one prounces the capital of their country "Pair-iss" instead of "Pair-EE."
The point still stands: People get to call their own names/cities/etc. whatever they want in their own language.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Zach G) wrote in message

New Oar-lins......New Oar-LEENS......New Oar-lee-ins
We all know what they're talking about.

Yeah. In this case, "N'Awlins". -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)
In

New Orleans is sinking man and I don't wanna swim.

Same thing in Louisville.
There, they pronounce it "LOU-uh-vill", not "LOOee -vill".
On 8 Jan 2004, ruud wrote:

And in Philadelphia ("filalfia"), Missourri ("mzurruh"), Toronto ("tronno"), and Newark, New Jersey ("Nork, N'jeyzy")
"Daniel J. Stern" wrote:

Only if you are an uneddicated hoosier. The rest of us say, "mzurree".
Brian Rodenborn
snipped-for-privacy@buick.com wrote in message

Actually, EE.UU. Double letters because the words they abbreviate re in plural forms.
On 8 Jan 2004 14:24:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mailandnews.com (Neo) wrote:

What dialect of French is that?
--
Brandon Sommerville
remove ".gov" to e-mail
Brandon Sommerville wrote:

Neo-French, a variant of Pseudo-French.
--
Cheers,
Bev

Spoken exclusively by stutterers?
--
Brandon Sommerville
remove ".gov" to e-mail

Brett Favre mis-pronounces his own name:
It should be Brett Fah'-vruh
Not "FARVE"

Why not Fay-vree? How about Fah-ver? "I ate his liver with some Favre beans and a nice chianti."
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ruud) wrote:

Don't be silly. I lived in Seattle for two years and every single person I met prounced it Mount Rain-eer. Not to mention Rain-eer ale, generally known as "green death" because of the funny green bottles it came in. Rain-eer is how everyone says it.
I wondar how dem good ol' Taxes boys who drive dem Shivey SilveRAYdoh's to the Rowdayo in ELdohRAYdoh, Taxes will pernounce that thar new Bruick RaynDeer name?
: - )

This is the only funny post to this entire thread, except for mine of course.
Paradox wrote: This is the only funny post to this entire thread, except for mine of course:

That does it. Pdx is officially HF's Boy. HAHAHAHAHa -- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address www.geoffwelsh.com
I found no humor in PDX's original post, which was off topic of course.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~275,068 miles_~_~_ ~_~_

Really? Where I come from, 'green death' beer is pronounced, "ROL-ing Rahk". -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drank that)
In

I remember it as Narragansett, a/k/a scuba tanks.