Buick Mispronounces its Own SUV's Name

Page 7 of 7

Probablly is. Especially since we took out their butt-buddy Saddam Hussein. :)
-- Paul
ruud wrote:

Well, Jaguar keeps calling their car "Jag-yoo-are."
The snoot factor there really grates.
John
--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

message

What do you *want* the English to call 'em? "Haag-WAHR"? It's *correct* and *original*, after all. Beats the hell out of the American Boor (TM) term, "JAG-wire", IMNSHO.
I suppose you'd be annoyed to discover that a 'B-M-W' is called "Bey Em Vey" where they build *them*. -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drives them)
C.R. Krieger wrote:

Cretin.
For decades we unwashed here in the states have been calling them "Jag-wahrs." That's also what *they've* been calling them in marketing them to us. Until recently, that is, when their ad firm had to come up with a new gimmick.
The funny thing is, after the agency-produced commercial ends, the local voice will come on with the local dealer names and he will say "Jag-wahr." Kind of squashes the snoot factor.
John
--
To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

@die.spammersearthlink.net says...

That's because the voice saying Jag-you-are is British and that's how they say it. Usually after the Brit voice signs off, the American one comes on imploring you to visit you local Jaguar dealer, its pronounced Jag-waur. The ones I hate are snooty, faux-proper English Americans that pronounce it Jag-wire. Those are dorks I'd love to poke in the nose.
RLM (former Jag-waur owner)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ruud) wrote in message

And I BELIEVE billionaire Tiger Woods rides one of those pieces of s---, I really do! -Rich

5 Jan 2004, 2038 PST
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Yo, dimbulb, its named for the mountain in the Pacific Northwest United States, Mt. Rainier, which is pronounced ray-NEER. Are you one of them European dorks that pronounces the Subaru Baja as bye-YA, instead of BAH-ha, like in the Mexican penninsula south of California?
RLM
says...

Wrong, genuis. It's Mount ren-YAY.
@lycos.com says...

Let's fly out there. I wanna see everyone laugh their ass off at you.
RLM
On 3 Jan 2004 18:49:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (ruud) wrote:

You guys have this all wrong with all the references to the mountain. The vehicle was named after Rainier Wolfcastle from the Simpsons.
Simply viewing any episode with him in it clearly yields the correct pronunciation. :)
MY GOD GET OVER IT ALREADY.......