Buick oil monitor

Page 2 of 2

Same to you!
BTW, have you seen the random forged posts using your name (and others) all over the boards? They contain excerpts from what appears to be a boring novel. If so, do you know if this is due to a newsreader software virus or has usenet data been hacked or?
Toyota MDT in MO
In article < snipped-for-privacy@s48g2000hss.googlegroups.co m>,

Another sporge attack. Kiddies out of school or the like.

The old method is wasting your money. The 3000 mile change is suggested by -- People that sell oil changes-- what a surprise. ] Most car manufacturers suggest anywhere from 3000 miles to 7500 miles depending on your driving conditions. I've used 7500 miles on cars that have lasted me 200,000 miles. My driving is a mix of highway and town driving, many trips are 25 miles.
Read the manual. Buick has invested millions of dollars over the years to get it right on oil changes. My present Buick has 122,000 miles and only once did I need to add any oil between changes. They build a good engine these days.

The following is the response of a GM engine development engineer
http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/virtualvairs/2005-July/028037.html
The following is the response of a GM engine development engineer to a motorcycle forum on extended mileage oil changes. The link to the forum was posted on VV months ago. I found it so interesting I saved a copy. Read with an open mind and form your own opinion about your favorite oil and oil change habits. Only the GM engineer's responses to questions, converted to plain text format, are included. The GM engineers experience and credentials are in the first few sentences of the last paragraph. It's taken special handling to get this long message posted, thanks to vv-help. I've got the entire original in pdf format for those interested.
John Dozsa
John, can you provide a copy of this in pdf format or direct me to it?
Thanks, Dave

I can remember when the 3K oil change was like draining tar from the crankcase.
It must be better tolerances, unleaded gas.... My BUICK 3.1 has 85K miles on it.
At 5000, I start to get nervous waiting for "Change Oil" but the dipstick shows oil almost as clear as when it was last installed.
<rj>

Filters, fuels, engine tolerances and materials, oils and the additives in them have all changed. The only thing that has not is the recommendations of the Jiffy Lubes and such that make their money from oil changes. While it does not make sense to try to save $20 at the expense of a $30,000 machine, it does not make sense to pour it down the drain either.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

True, especially in this day and age of expensive, and as some say, short supplies of oil.

Our '00 3.1 Century has 160,000kms on it and the oil looks clean at 5,000kms. The "Change Oil" light never comes on and stays on. I 've changed the oil between 8,000 and 16,000kms and it never looks that dirty, like in the old days. It's been a good engine except for the famous intake gasket which I replaced this time last year, 25,000kms ago. Thankfully we've had mild winters or I'd have frozen changing it.

It isn't just the jiffy lubes that recomend changing your oil at 3,000, I know a lot of mechanics that still do it.
How many engines have you rebuilt? Just curious.

None. I've driven many of them to 200,000 miles. The last car I got rid of was a '91 Regal with 150,000. My '01 LeSabre has 122,000 and only once did I have to add oil (1/2 quart) between changes.
Mechanics make money changing oil too. If you drive under severe conditions then 3000 miles may be the right time, but for most of us, it is a waste.
Did you ever ask the mechanic or Jiffy Lube place why they say 3000 miles? Do they ever ask you what kind of driving you do so they can make a proper recommendation? Do they ever mention the condition of your oil or the filter? Do they look up a reference for your particular made and model? Nope, they just continue to say "come back in 3000 miles" and put that little sticker on the windshield so you will feel guilty when you exceed it.
It your money so do what you want with it, but there is no justification for me not to follow the manufacturer's recommendations of 7500 miles for my driving conditions. I also use regular 87 octane gas as stated in the manual.

I still change at 3,000 or close to it. Maybe it is more often than needed, but I also change my socks and underdrawers every day ;>)
wrote in message news:6Dlbj.32142

Its your money so do as you please. There is just no real justification for it today though. As for your underdrawers, just turn them inside out and cut the laundry in half.

**And that is my justification...Maybe someday I will subscribe to the long service interval situation, but not now. I choose to err on the side of caution (with my underwear too) ;>)

This has been discussed a number of times here. That system does not actually check any oil parameters. Its response is output from a calculation - an algorithm- which simulates oil life.
Use it if you want to. Change your oil when you want to. You will only get into trouble if you dont change your oil reasonably within the manufacturers specifications and you have an engine failure that GM can worm its way out of.