Buick oil monitor

-

Agreed ... even though he's not being properly compensated for his abilities, studies or efforts. Maybe he should title his works "CKP/ CMP Waveforms" or "30 More HP with Bolt-ons Under $30" to gain initial interest.

I *am* curious how a modern engine that has no appreciable consumption issue could be affected by early oil changes. How many current designs accept significant oil consumption as normal any more?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I *am* curious how a modern engine that has no appreciable consumption issue could be affected by early oil changes. How many current designs accept significant oil consumption as normal any more?

Toyota MDT in MO

In my personal experience, I have only had to replace one catalytic converter on my cars and I change at 3000 miles. Many of my cars have gone

150,000 -200,000 miles.

The one I had to change, recently, was on my 1997 Dodge van, 318 cid. It has

116,000 miles on it and the engine is quite strong and silent. Burns no noticeable oil between changes. The shop where I had the converter replaced said this life is not unusual at all for Chrysler products.

Therefore, faced with a $100 converter replacement, or a multi thousand dollar engine replacement, I opt for the frequent oil changes. Our new Avalon is not supposed to suffer from the gelled oil failure, but frequent changes will help make sure this phenomenon is minimized.

Reply to
HLS

Sad to see such effort go to waste.

The amounts that will poison a catalyst may be too small to accurately measure with normal oil checking procedures.

Good to see you around, have a merry christmas!

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The cars you -didn't- have to replace converters on are/were?

No such thing as a $100 converter replacement on anything built in the last 12 years.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Mostly Buicks...Three of them...I had a number of different company cars, including Volkswagen Passat, Oldsmobile, etc, but never drove any of them so many miles as company policy was to change well before this high mileage level.

Au contraire...I had the van converter replaced a couple of weeks ago, when the core became very noisy. Converter plus installation was less than $125.

Reply to
HLS

Model years, what were the model years?

Insufficient time to tell whether the converter is efficient enough to keep the SES light off.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It's quite likely you DIDN'T have it done at a GM dealers...

Reply to
Anonymous

As I mentioned in a previous post, this is a Dodge, so it was not done at a GM dealership;>)

Reply to
HLS

1989, 1992, and 1998 Buicks (Regal, LeSabre, and LeSabre, in that order.)

Agree.. So far so good. I use the van only very rarely, so it is not a big issue for me at this point. In this part of the state, the state mandated inspection does not include emissions, whereas it DOES in places like Houston.

Reply to
HLS

lson-

Same to you!

BTW, have you seen the random forged posts using your name (and others) all over the boards? They contain excerpts from what appears to be a boring novel. If so, do you know if this is due to a newsreader software virus or has usenet data been hacked or?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Another sporge attack. Kiddies out of school or the like.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Only one of those is capable of monitoring catalyst efficiency.

So, my point is not invalid.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

For my case, your point is well taken, but neither invalid or valid at the moment.

Reply to
HLS

Non OEM replacement converters are not to be compared with OEM. Your old worn cat the garage probably kept is worth more in scrap price than the replacement cost new. Platinum, the key catalyst is over $1500 per ounce right now. With very few exceptions even the smallest cat contain about 1/10 ounce. Some gas converters contain as much as 1/2 ounce while some large diesel converters contain over 1 ounce. But hey it MIGHT get you past a emmision test for a year. Most OEM replacement cats are getting close to a grand now days. In some places cat theft is gettin bad. Theives will crawl under a vehicle while parked and saw them off. Come out to start your vehicle and what a surprise. Next time anyone has a cat replaced make sure you keep it. Honest buyers are paying $60.00 to $150.00 for gas cats and on up for diesel.

Reply to
David & Robin Johnson