Buick Roadmaster Engine Repair

I have a 1996 Buick Roadmaster that looks good and is mechanically sound except for one problem. The large pully on the front of the engine that connects to the crank came
off. I bought a new pully but the end of the crank was slightly worn and the pully will not stay on. It has no keyway and just 1 bolt holds it on. I have been told I will have to replace the crank or get a new engine? Is this true. Or is there another fix?
Could try to have the balancer welded to the crank snout from the inside area of the balancer, it still may wobble and possibly not be a quality permanent repair.

-
Puckett wrote:

I wouldn't bother with a new engine, but you will have to at least replace the crankshaft. If the engine is in good shape, and you have someone do the work that is competent, you should end up with a good repair job.
Ian

A lot depends on how far the end of the crank sticks out and how bad it's worn. I'm assuming you put the new balancer on and it came back off??
Al
Puckett wrote:

Once I had that problem and drilled 6mm holes and tapped them and bolted it on that way in addition to the center bolt. I kept my eye on it and nothing ever wenr wrong.

and then guarantee it? methinks NOPE! sometimes home cures can't be done. ...thehick
Frank, I didn't say he should go to a certified mechanic to repair it. I would be appaled to hear of one that would do that type of work and it wouldn't be cheap anyway as it takes time. I merely mentioned what I did successfully on a friend's car. Some of us don't have the bucks to run to a mechanic every time something breaks. However, we still need our vehicles so we are driven to find some frugal way of getting back on the road. Such repairs are done all over the world where certified mechanics nor replacement parts are available.