Buick running problem

Try unplugging your MAF sensor, it's on the snorkel from the air cleaner. Sometimes they get dirty and do weird things, but no code. Cars in 93 were still relatively stupid.

MAP is another possibility, or TPS.

Reply to
Kevin

I posted before but decided it time for an update in a new tread. My wife has a 93 Buick LaSabre with 188,000 miles. It has a 3800. I can not afford to buy another car with being on disability. The car wont run on the road to get it to a shop for a scan. I have checked for codes and have none, and the service engine light has not come on. It will idle forever, but when it is driven and the gas it applied it stalls out and we have a strong smell of gas.

So far I have changed the spark plugs and drove it same thing stalls out and the plugs were blacked.

I check the coil packs with a ohm meter and found one was weaker then the others. I replaced it still same problem.

I changed the fuel filter which was long overdue. And I removed the catalytic converter still same problem.

I took the vacuum line off the fuel regulator and it did a little better driving with the line removed but it stalled again but did get up to 45 mph. I took the fuel regulator into a shop to see if they could test it and the guy sucked on the port of the vacuum line and said it is fine.

I check the fuel pressure and found it to be 35 pound and when I rev the motor it went up to 45 pounds.

I am still leaning toward the fuel regulator but at $100 I need to be sure before I start putting parts in that are not needed.

Or could it be the computer. And why no service light.

I have always found help from this group.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tim

Ok I get the MAF I did replace it over a year ago and will check it out. When it went bad before it never gave a check engine light.

But now I must show my lack of knowledge and ask what is the MAP and TPS and how would I check them

Reply to
Tim

Reply to
Kevin

Try starting it with the MAF unplugged. If your symptoms are gone, then it's the likely culprit.

Reply to
Kevin

I unplugged the MAF and the car stalled. I then plugged it back in and it started. While it was running I tapped on it and the car stalled out. Someone years ago told me that is a quick check. I took it out and it appears clean.

How can I test it.

Reply to
Tim

I unplugged the MAF and it started very hard and would not stay running. The check engine light came on for the first time.

Reply to
Tim

"Tim" wrote in news:uf2dnZgo6ptuprPbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

the 'tap' test is considered reliable but not conclusive....if the MAF (which measures grams of air per second) gives ugly info very bad things can happen (stalls, no power, etc.) the only way to get the true info from the MAF is referred to as 'data flow' which can only be accessed with a scanner.........if you can find a loner from a simular vehicle that would answer your question at no cost.............kjun

Reply to
Kjun

Great idea. I went out and check my 98 Jimmy but the MAF is not a match.

Reply to
Tim

If I were you, I would try going to a junk yard. I used to do this all the time with my '91 Grand Prix. The owner would let me take any sensor I wanted, usually for $5, or for free if he felt like it.

Reply to
80 Knight

Another item eliminated that is not the cause. I picked up a used MAF for $35 and installed it. Still has the same problem.

Reply to
Tim

All the junk yards around me wanted $50 for the MAF. I found one for $35 installed it but it was not the problem.

Reply to
Tim