Buick Transmission going into neutral at red light?

92 Buick Park Ave with 112,000. Belongs to relative and she does not know if tranny has ever been serviced. The car shifts great at all speeds, even kicks down to pass. Locks up at cruise and shifts very
smooth. (I've been driving it a week. nice car, One owner and garage kept.)
This problem is interrmitant and putting tranny into neutral and back into OD and it goes fine after that. Fluid is clean and full.
Any ideas?

First thing would be to check the fluid level in the tranny. If that checks OK I would service the trans and replace the filter if it hasn't been done for some time.
Some of these units had problems with this happening in sharp turns at low speeds, we used to overfill by 1 qt.

wrote in message ...

Wow

The GMs I have owned including the 1989 Chevy, 1996 Buick Roadmaster & 97 Buick Lesabre have to have the transmission filled about 1 inch above the full mark on the dip stick. On the 89 Chevy and 96 Buick I have had rebuilt because I only filled them to the full mark. The garage showed me the parts and they were burned.

Thanks, I'll try that. Sounds like it may be to late though.

added ATF, 100 mile trip included two times tranny failed to find first when stopped. Of course, on the bright side, there was about 20 stops it had no problem. ????????

As Mike noted previously, change the filter in the trans. It's the next cheap thing you can do before spending real money. You may also want to verify that the linkage is adjusted correctly.