Building the Chevy Camaro has been Axed!

Page 2 of 2

Whoever posted this was just pulling your leg. It's not a real article.

I certainly hope so, otherwise it would be a major misstep by GM after the raves they got about the Camaro at the auto shows.
-GV

I assure sir..Smartie Panse is no liar. Though Motor Trend might be. The article came from M/Ts website yesterday. Here is the link below http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied_vehicles/112_0508_2008_future_gm_models
Smartie Panse wrote:

I stand corrected. Odd that M/T didn't have it available when this thread started.

Well, I'm sorry - I was wrong too. However, it's clearly still not news. It hasn't proliferated anywhere on the internet as far as I can tell, and it seems very unlike everything else in the news. For instance, there's really not any indication that there is a 2008 GTO coming. They'd have to start building it in about 4 months. Where is it? There's apparently no such thing. Years ago, there was a 2008 GTO in everybody's head. Today, the G8 is clearly going forward, so how is Holden's platform not refined enough for a Chevrolet? It's good enough for the most expensive Pontiac? The article doesn't really make any sense TODAY. I can't find a date on it - My guess is it's a two-year-old article.
I guess we'll see.

Okay - here we go: something with a date, but Bob Lutz himself.
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/03/zeta_not_the_en.html
That Motor Trend article was from when the Zeta platform was cancelled in 2005. Everybody remember that? I don't know much about the motor trend website, so I won't comment about the age of anything else on that page. I think they've abandoned that part of their site, but you be the judge.
Joe wrote:

Yep, I went looking for the original and couldn't find it.
Well my 98 corvette with a V8 got 26 mpg highway and 22 city. My V6 Pontiac gets the same mileage. Who doesn't want a V8?

level,
largely
Ok - this is what really gets me. The author makes the point that the LaCrosse and the Grand Prix are only differntiated by cosmetics and the likes - as if that's a problem. What's wrong with a platform design that is tweaked for target markets? Personally, I think that is a strength in design. This gets talked about a lot, but the argument has never held water in my eyes. To top it off the critics of GM talk a lot about the benefit of Honda and Toyota platform designs. So what is it? Is the platform approach good to these people, or is it bad? Or more likely... is it just that anything GM does is fodder for these people who have nothing better to do?

Chargers
Gotta-haves? That sure isn't reflected in Chrysler's sales performance.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net