Buy a Toyota or GM

My wife & I are looking at minivans. We can get some real good prices on a GM cars. Having said that, a new Toyota Sienna is about $2-3K more than a Saturn Relay minivan. That really made me think again. I tend to think, or want to believe, that GM's quality is very good. A good amount of warranty issues are from poor maintenance.

Would you go for the GM (Saturn Relay or Chevy Uplander) or a Yota Sienna ?

IMHO GM is huting because 20 -25 years ago, when my age group was buying their first cars GM, Ford etc made some real junk. Ugly and poorly assembled. I believe that the build quality is good but they have not hit the mark for me. I bought an Acura Integra in 91 and there was no GM car that remotely appealled to me. The closest American option was a Ford Probe. Almost bought one but the warranty excluded pulling a trailer, like my Hobie Cat.

Reply to
Howard Cohen

Most of what you say is reasonable with the exception of the warranty point. A good amount of warranty issues do not stem from poor maintenance. Most warranty claims stem from either known problem areas or fluke failures. Maintenance isn't going to do anything for those.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Howard Cohen" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The new Sienna is not one of the better cars Toyota has put out in recent memory. Take a look at the reviews below I linked on it, sort them by the lowest and you'll see consistent problems...poor mileage and run flat tires being the most common. The new Saturn Vue is a nice vehicle IMHO. IIRC it has a Honda drivetrain. Decent interior too.

Dave Stone

The Sienna so far out-classes the GM vans as to make it not even a contest. Also, the Toyota will hold it's resale value much better than the Saturn, so unless you plan to run the vehicle into the ground you will get most, if not all, of the price premium back on the other end.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Runflats are a horrible idea for family vehicles for sure.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I am a little sour with GM, admittedly. They have had a number of problems with engines, and earlier with transmissions, and have not really been too quick to step up to the plate and make good on them.

Toyota has a pretty good reputation as a company. Toyota has had some engine problems in the recent past which they claim came from poor maintenance.

Whatever you buy, change your oil and filter religiously, and maintain your tranny.

I personally may not buy another GM in the near future. I can only hope they will get their act together soon.

Reply to
<HLS

Somebody must like the GM vans, GM sells a lot more vans than Toyota. So does Dodge for that matter

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I do too...for myself, that is.

Reply to
<HLS

Today, I checked out both the Saturn Relay and the Toyota Sienna. The numbers are in and they both cost roughly the same. I can get 0.0% on a leftover '05 Relay(or $3500 cash back w/ financing). The Yota has 3.9% financing on an '06, about the same for an '06 Relay.

Hmmm, proven resale v.s. crappy resale. I th> > My wife & I are looking at minivans. We can get some real good prices on a

Reply to
Howard Cohen

At the same price it is an easy choice and GM looses the battle.

If you must buy a GM van, I would get the Buick if only because it has a longer warranty (starting in '06) than do the Chevy, Pontiac & Saturn.

John

Reply to
John Horner

But the Sienna is such an ugly, ugly, bland, vanilla looking machine. Has the automotive world come down to making sacrifices such as this for some people? Choosing blandness over good looks for perceived resale value? Man, I'd hate to see the wives of Howard and John, if this is what they base their decisions on! I'd rather have a trophy car/wife with lower value when I'm done with her!

Reply to
Cool Jet

Are you saying that you think the current GM minivans are good looking?

John

Reply to
John Horner

I hope you have a good looking expensive divorce attorney as well.

Reply to
John Horner

John, they are absolutely drop-dead gorgeous compared to the hideous Sienna!

Reply to
Cool Jet

That pretty much confirms my hunch John. Some people will accept bland and ugly to save a buck. ;-) You have to lighten up John and enjoy life a little. Learn to live with a few flaws. Beauty always has a few pimples from time-to-time.

Reply to
Cool Jet

I have found Chrysler quality increasing continually since the 80s. My wife's 2001 V6 Sybring must be extremely good, no quality maintenance problems at all- 100% prefect.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Lower prices!

Reply to
Spam Hater

Lower prices! Better quality! Better styling! What more can you ask?

Reply to
Cool Jet

The dam things are always in the way. At intersections, in front of you, they block a safe view.

The high ones should have a foot or two chopped off of them. I love it when they can't park in a low entry parking garage.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Reply to
Cool Jet