Buyer Beware at Chrysler

Page 1 of 2
My question is this. If Chrysler doesn't have the volume to keep their designs up to date, why did GM fall so far behind with their designs?
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/apr2007/bw20070412_730763.htm?c
han=search

who wrote:

GM rested on their laurels thinking that their position as #1 would never change, that it was theirs by divine right. GM failed/refused to look at the real world and they are now paying the price-as are Ford & Chrysler. The Detroit Tiny Three fading into history.

This company was doomed by bad management long ago. I still own & drive Mopars from the '70's - Plymouth Furys(2), Dusters(2), Scamps(2) - Dodge Darts (1) & Chrysler Cordobas (3) and New Yorkers (1). I also have a 87 Dodge 4x4 and two cars from the '90s - an Intreped & a Concord, both disappointing junk.. I use to run Jeeps before Chrysler bought them too, the new ones are cheap mass market junk compared to the old ones... little 4 bangers with chinsy thin doors.
I'm hoping someone -an American- buys Chrysler and pulls it back away from all of this Global garbage. I use to proud to run Chryslers, Plymouths, Dodges & Jeeps but now their nothing but a shell covering some foreign manufactures junk. My real concerns are: 1. Will Jeep be included in the sale of Chrysler? and who gets Jeeps 4x4 technology? (Jeep Quadratrac from the 70s was tough to beat). 2. Who gets the Hemi Engine design? The Hemi engines being produced today are not the same engine design from the 60 - 70 engines.. it's a cheap redesign to capitalize on the legend of one of the greatest engines ever built, the 426. (Chrysler built smaller Hemi's back in the 50s too -331, 354, 392) Todays Hemi's are going to be dropping pushrods down into the engine after they get substantial wear on them and then Hemi will get a bad name because the Germans ruined it.
I see the cheap, ugly little car that they are passing off as the Dodger Charger today, and my only thoughts are: 'Man, what an insult to the Dukes of Hazard!' The Dodge Charger is my all-time favorite car & the 426 Hemi engine my all-time favorite Engine, but that new thing isn't a Dodge Charger & that ain't a true Hemi under the hood... I would never even consider buying one.. their ugly and look like they've been put in a trash compactor to crunch a foot off each end. ( I am negotiating on a 66 Charger, no engine, and a 70 Charger with a 440 right now).
Right there is a perfect example of the marketing failure of Chrysler... they left the people who took them to the dance in the first place. Instead they went for mass appeal with marketing gimmicks like renaming a German peice of junk with the legendary name of an American Classic. Did these people at Chysler also think I would run right out and buy a Mitsubishi just because they stuck a DODGE name plate on it? Who's idea was it to put cheap, defective mass market ball-joints on Dodge Durangos when people buying Durangos expected something heavy-duty? Come On!!! I just can't wait to see the made in China or Korea version of Chrysler... the German version sure was an insult.
For lack of a better alternative, I'm going to be running cheaply made Chevy Blazers until Chrysler produces something truely American that I would once again be proud to own. It will probably be an eternal wait since it seems that Chrysler has a historic tradition of Clueless management. I don't really give a F*&% if Germans, Japs, Chinese, Enviros or writers for the Car magazines like MY car or not, if I wanted one of their cars I would've bought one and I'm tired of being insulted by them trying to sell me their cars by puttting a Chrysler/Dodge name-tag on it. I want an American Car built BY Americans FOR Americans. I want a tapered box front-end and sleek quarter panels/roof lines leading to a box back-end. I want a big gas guzzling V-8 with rear wheel drive and enough horsepower to melt the tires off. That was what Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth was all about... not mass-market cars but cars for niche buyers, buyers who want traditional Ugly American Cars. When they built a car like that I'll buy one (even a new slant-6 Dart would do), they can take their current version of the Charger and Hemi engine and shove it.
The new Dodge Charger is not ugly nor is it underpowered. Who cares if it's not a true "Hemi". It has 350HP in R/T package and 425HP in the SRT8. It's a great car and something GM couldn't give us a 4 Door RWD V8 without paying Cadillac prices. Not too many people remember the cars from the 60's and the ones that do are too busy buying Buick Lacrosse/Lucernes.
Keep driving your POS Chevy Blazer.

Come on. If it's got 4-doors, it ain't a Charger. That's all there is too it. And you want to make a bet on how many people remember the 60's Chargers? Ever heard of "The Dukes of Hazard"? Or, the 2 new movies, all using the '69 Charger? One of the most popular TV cars of all time. The Charger is a nice looking car, but IMHO, it's not a Charger. They should have came up with another name, and built a 2-door to have the honor of being called "Charger".

I was a toddler when the Dukes were on TV. The over 35-40 crowd will remember the show and the ones that remember the 69 Charger? That was almost 40 years ago which means you would have been at least 18 years old to consider buying back then which makes you 58+ years old. Get with the times. What about the new Impala SS? It's not even RWD for F*&^ sake. Just wait for the Dodge Challenger if you have to have a 2 door.

That is a sad commentary on automotive life.
Apparently you have had your head stuck in the ground the past several years. I too was a toddler when the Dukes were on TV, but you can bet your ass I know what a '69 Charger is. Even in the newest "Dukes of Hazard" movie, they still used the same car, a 1969 Charger. And, check with your "most popular car on TV" polls. Usually the General Lee wins every time. As for the Dodge Challenger, the pictures I have seen of it are quite nice, but I think the new Camaro will be crowned King.

Of course I have heard of the '69 Charger. So what? Driving it and reading about it are too very different things. You probably know nothing about the way it handles and it accelerates. Plus, I never buy used so even if the '69 Charger was so great I won't be buying a used one.

Many cars today will handle better, accelerate as fast, and have many more modern and practical advances. That has nothing to do with the enjoyment of driving a classic automobile, flying a classic airplane, or cruising in a mahogany Cris Craft inboard speedboat, etc. You evidently don't know, and don't care, and that is just fine. It makes more room for the rest of us that do appreciate such things. They just don't make nostalgia like they used to. Let's talk about this again in ten years.

So my lovely '95 Concord passes as an old "near classic" that runs almost as good as a new cheaply built car? That's the best of both worlds.

That is why I drive my 1940 Chrysler Royal Coupe! Oh, I also have a PT Cruiser Convertible, but driving the Royal gives me a great feeling!
--
"What do you mean there's no movie?"

Wow. It's like talking with a tree.

You have nothing to say but this? Keep reading about the 69 Charger while I drive the real thing from the 21st century. How's your F body or whatever piece of shit you drive. Dumb fuck.

You don't drive a real Charger. You drive a piece of shit, with 'Charger' slapped on the side to make it sell. A real Charger never had 4 doors, and never will.

80 Knight wrote:

scoop. And, I would agree. ;-)

Most new car buyers in the under-35 year old crowd are buying minivans and aren't the target market for a sedan. Plus they cannot afford to buy anything decent anyway.
The Charger is apparently being marketed to the over-35 year old crowd who were buying minivans 10 years ago and today, still have all those kids (but the kids are just older) yet want to have their wanna-be sports cars, so they settle for a 4 door to answer the practicality aspects, but select a sedan with a famous sporty name on it to answer their wanna-be instincts.
The marketers are competent enough -they damn well know their market. It is just a crying shame they had to drag a grand old name like Charger down into the mud.
Ted
I am under 35 and bought a brand new Charger. No family yet and even if I had wouldn't consider a minivan.

Haha hahha a hha aaah. Whew! There's somebody that's /hard/ to insult.
This wasn't the first time I've heard somebody say the modern Hemi isn't "the same" as the Hemis built 40 years ago. Gosh, we know that. Everybody knows it. Don't worry, there's not any sane person that thinks that's the same motor. Calling that a "hemi" just empty marketing with lots and lots of horsepower. We all get it. Trust me.

had. The A/C was junk, but Chrysler at their cost finally repaired it just before their 7 year warranty extension.

parts from many countries. The 300 is Canadian as well.
However BMW, Mercedes and Toyota produce some nice cars in the USA.