Cadillac Deville input

Page 1 of 3
--WebTV-Mail-15834-12384 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Hello all,
I was just over to the Cadillac ng and not much happening there. I am
thinking of looking for a '98-'00 Deville to buy. I would love any opinions on these cars. Do they have any common problems with engines, transmissions, etc.? I believe these cars to have the Northstar V-8. Do these engines have gasket issues? Anybody know what the average mpg is?
I was looking at newer cars within my budget and was very discouraged. Most of them were like sitting on a wooden park bench. I want a car with substance, comfort and of course all the fun toys and I'm thinking a used, nice caddie would be a good choice.
Thanks, Tom
--WebTV-Mail-15834-12384 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-15834-12384--
You are talking about an seven year old used car. There is no way for anybody in a NG to know anything about the particular ONE you are considering. Any experience anybody in a NG may have had, good or bad, is useless. When you buy a vehicle used there is no way to know for sure how it was used or abused or whether it was serviced properly or not. Your best option is to have a qualified technician, or a used car appraiser, look at the particular car and follow their advice
mike hunt
all,<BR><BR>I was just over to the Cadillac ng and not much happening there.&nbsp; I am<BR>thinking of looking for a '98-'00 Deville to buy.&nbsp; I would love any<BR>opinions on these cars.&nbsp; Do they have any common problems with engines,<BR>transmissions, etc.?&nbsp; I believe these cars to have the Northstar V-8.<BR>Do these engines have gasket issues?&nbsp; Anybody know what the average mpg<BR>is?<BR><BR>I was looking at newer cars within my budget and was very discouraged.<BR>Most of them were like sitting on a wooden park bench.&nbsp; I want a car<BR>with substance, comfort and of course all the fun toys and I'm thinking<BR>a used, nice caddie would be a good choice.<BR><BR>Thanks,&nbsp; Tom<BR><BR> <P> <HR>
<P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

anybody in a NG to know anything about the particular

good or bad, is useless. When you buy a vehicle

it was serviced properly or not. Your best option > is to have a qualified technician, or a used car appraiser, look at the particular car and follow their advice

Geeze Mike - relax a bit. The fellow was asking about 98-00 Caddie DeVilles in general - not about any specific car. He asked a fair question. Maybe you don't have any more specific knowledge of those Caddie years than I do, or of the Northstar V-8 than I do, but he asked a fair question.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

-
The fact remains there is no way for anybody in a NG to know anything about the particular ONE a person is considering. Any experience anybody in a NG may have had, good or bad with a similar car, is useless. The point of asking in a NG is a waste of time and certainly not of any value as it pertains to the particular car at which the person is looking.
The days when technicians and engineers used NG to exchange information and gain knowledge of a brand or model are long gone The only people that generally frequent NGs today are those looking of a cheap or free fix for some problem they are having with their particular vehicle. Naturally the most types of comments one is likely to hear, from a person with a problem, will be negative. Particularly when one considers many people, who have no life, are in the NG simply to find an audience for their personal opinion, or to bash the brand. The only thing one can count on from those types is that the love the brand THEY buy and it is generally not the one represented by the NG. ;)
mike hunt

about
NG
You need to re-read the OP Mike. He never asked about any particular car. He asked very clearly about the characteristics of a series of cars. Quite an appropriate question. If someone were to ask about 98-00 Chevy Malibu's with a 3.1 L motor, wouldn't you agree that there are certain things that could generally and accurately be said about those cars?

and
I disagree with that since several of us do precisely what you say is long gone. But... even if that were not true, so what? Does that in any way lessen the validity of the OP's question? No - it doesn't.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
How would that help him to determine whether or not he should buy the ONE he is considering? Are you an automotive technician or engineer?
mike hunt

he
What does it matter what I am Mike? There are very few people in all of usenet that I decide are just not worth the hassle of dealing with, but you sir are becoming one of those. You are intentionally obtuse and seem to delight in creating problems. You clearly lack reading comprehension Mike, as you are still concentrating on the word ONE, which the OP never suggested. This has been pointed out to you on more than one occassion, but apparently you are unable to comprehend that fact. Or you are simply so obstinant that you won't let go of your own mistaken point? Fine - bay at the moon Mike. You've killed any interest I might have had in attempting to communicate with you.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I said the NGs are generally no longer visited mainly by automotive technicians and engineers. You said the NGs are still visited mainly by automotive technicians or engineers. I was simply asking if you were either of them. You have yet to answer my question which was how would hearing comments about Cadillacs in general, good or bad, from those in a NG be of any help in him determining whether or not he should buy the ONE he is considering? I said it could not be of any value to know about the vehicles in general, you said it will. I'm simply wondering how you came to that conclusion. Methinks your are the one with the communication problem ;)
mike hunt

Just as a suggestion if you will. Give it a break please. No pressure here, unless you've got a bug up your ass. I have read some interesting threads from both of you and I'm like Don Cherry with regards to calling a spade a spade. Flaming one another does no one any justice. If it matters I think to know about a vehicle's good and bad points can help anyone in general when purchasing a vehicle. Given the fact of the original comment and also the fact this is a NG about gm cars. The poster asks specifically, I quote, "I would love any opinions on these cars". Clear cut and dry. If you'd like to debate this further I'd be the one up for the job. No problem unless you have a square head..........cheers ps methinks you've nothing better to do.

No bugs, I'm simply curious as to what makes somebody believe knowing about a vehicle's good and bad points can help anyone in general when purchasing a vehicle? Do you think that if all of those who responded to him did so in the negative, that the one he is considering will therefore be bad as well? Or conversely if everyone who responded did so to the positive, that the one he is considering will therefore be trouble free as well? Obviously all the models any manufacture sells can not be good nor can they all be bad, so how did you come to make the conclusion that you have made?
The fact remains when one buys ANY used vehicle they can never know for sure how that particular vehicle was used, or abused, or whether it was serviced properly or not. Experience others may have had, good or bad, mean nothing to a particular vehicle now available on a used car lot.
In my opinion, my suggestion that he engage a competent technician or a used car appraiser to examine the ONE he is interest in punching and take that persons advice, is the most useful advice he will get in a NG. ;)
mike hunt

used
Good advice, Mike. Only problem is, he didn't ask for advice. He asked for opinions of a certain brand of car. The fact that you think opinions have no value is immaterial.
Dave
No everybody is entitled to an opinion. I think the opinions good or bad will have no value in making a decision as too whether or not he should buy ONE of them. ;)
mike hunt

buy
The point is Mike, that it does not matter what you think. The OP asked a question. If he decides to use the answers he receives as part of, or even as the complete basis for his decision, that's his business. Your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Remember what they say about opinions Mike.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
I have already stated it was my opinion that he should have a qualified person examine the ONE he was interested in buying, an opinion for the poster to accept or not.
mike hunt

Good enough. There isn't anything in this thread that is worth a major pissing contest over, so let's agree to just let it go. I'd rather be able to comment back and forth on something else in the future that may be productive, than to have this spiral downhill any further.
Kick back, have a beer and say... "damn - that Mike Marlow is a hell of a guy..."
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
How could I possible form an opinion of someone I've never met? That would be like offering an opinion good or bad about a vehicle in a car lot in Timbuktu, that I have never seen or driven, based on the one a friend once owned ;)
mike hunt

My opinion of your posts in this thread is that they are bullshit, further it is my opinion that you have been touching yourself entirely too much. Now how about giving it a rest?
Indeed you too are entitled to you opinion as well. In my opinion it would have been better if your mother had been married to you father. ;)
mike hunt

C'mon, that's the best ya can do? Just like the rest of ya post's, very lame. For a quick response to your attempt at humor. At least I know who my father is. Oh, no opinion involved. Now give it a rest.
Roy