Cadillac Deville input

Starter inside the engine? Ugh! Reminds me of the combination alternator / starter I've read about that will eventually be between the engine and tranny (sort of the flywheel). What next!?

Reply to
Olaf

You stole my words Roy. The "WTF" was right on my fingertips.

good it was and how to use it.

Mike seems to be on a mission to be as contrary as he can be lately. For someone who complains about the cranks in this newsgroup, he's the poster child for crank.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

What does it matter what I am Mike? There are very few people in all of usenet that I decide are just not worth the hassle of dealing with, but you sir are becoming one of those. You are intentionally obtuse and seem to delight in creating problems. You clearly lack reading comprehension Mike, as you are still concentrating on the word ONE, which the OP never suggested. This has been pointed out to you on more than one occassion, but apparently you are unable to comprehend that fact. Or you are simply so obstinant that you won't let go of your own mistaken point? Fine - bay at the moon Mike. You've killed any interest I might have had in attempting to communicate with you.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Famous - that was a great post. I can't imagine that anyone looking at a Caddie wouldn't have found that informative.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Faster fingers I guess.

I hadn't noticed it before, but ..................

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I said the NGs are generally no longer visited mainly by automotive technicians and engineers. You said the NGs are still visited mainly by automotive technicians or engineers. I was simply asking if you were either of them. You have yet to answer my question which was how would hearing comments about Cadillacs in general, good or bad, from those in a NG be of any help in him determining whether or not he should buy the ONE he is considering? I said it could not be of any value to know about the vehicles in general, you said it will. I'm simply wondering how you came to that conclusion. Methinks your are the one with the communication problem ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

How does me asking a question about how you came to a conclusion that differs from mine, make me a crank? What makes your opinion on the subject more valid than mine, when you do not want to tell us what led you that opinion. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Don't you just love automatic spell checkers? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Just as a suggestion if you will. Give it a break please. No pressure here, unless you've got a bug up your ass. I have read some interesting threads from both of you and I'm like Don Cherry with regards to calling a spade a spade. Flaming one another does no one any justice. If it matters I think to know about a vehicle's good and bad points can help anyone in general when purchasing a vehicle. Given the fact of the original comment and also the fact this is a NG about gm cars. The poster asks specifically, I quote, "I would love any opinions on these cars". Clear cut and dry. If you'd like to debate this further I'd be the one up for the job. No problem unless you have a square head..........cheers ps methinks you've nothing better to do.

Reply to
Lanze

No bugs, I'm simply curious as to what makes somebody believe knowing about a vehicle's good and bad points can help anyone in general when purchasing a vehicle? Do you think that if all of those who responded to him did so in the negative, that the one he is considering will therefore be bad as well? Or conversely if everyone who responded did so to the positive, that the one he is considering will therefore be trouble free as well? Obviously all the models any manufacture sells can not be good nor can they all be bad, so how did you come to make the conclusion that you have made?

The fact remains when one buys ANY used vehicle they can never know for sure how that particular vehicle was used, or abused, or whether it was serviced properly or not. Experience others may have had, good or bad, mean nothing to a particular vehicle now available on a used car lot.

In my opinion, my suggestion that he engage a competent technician or a used car appraiser to examine the ONE he is interest in punching and take that persons advice, is the most useful advice he will get in a NG. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It's confirmed Mike - you did fail reading comprehension. I said no such thing. Go back and read slowly - very slowly what I posted. You'll find it is something quite different.

Sorry Mike - red herring. The OP never made mention of a particular car he was considering. He asked very clearly about 98-00 Caddies in general. You failed reading comprehension again.

No Mike - you don't think at all before you post and that's the problem with this entire discussion. I gave you an example of how the type of information he inquired about could be useful. Reading comprehension again.

Maybe if you read this group with an eye toward what people are really posting and not with an eye for an opportunity to go off on some rant, you'd not find yourself in the middle of so many frays here.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

That is what I thought, you can not explain your reasoning, because it defies logic.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Good advice, Mike. Only problem is, he didn't ask for advice. He asked for opinions of a certain brand of car. The fact that you think opinions have no value is immaterial.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

No everybody is entitled to an opinion. I think the opinions good or bad will have no value in making a decision as too whether or not he should buy ONE of them. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike Hunter.

Mike I think the opinions of people & people in news groupsother other than techs & mechanic's can be very help to somebody that is interested in buying a car.

A friend of mine had a 99 LeSabre and speaks very negatively about it since he traded it in and bought a Hyundia Sante Fe in 2004. The LeSabre had runnablity issues & twice the center storage armrest broke out around the hinge because of poor design. There is a 1 1/2 gap between the bottom of the armrest & seat cushion. Constant leaning on it breaks the plastic around the piviot point. The GM Service writer told him your supposed to keep a large book under the armrest to keep it from springing down from leaning on it. I can't print what my friends reply to the service writer was, or what he was told to do with the book --- LOL !

So according to my friend a 99 LeSabre sucks. My aunt has a 99 as well & its all original & has had no problems with it.

The opinion's of others may point out some things that another person would even look at or consider when they look at a car. My uncle for one asked me about my dad's 91 Cadillac Brougham & what I thought about it. He like the car for its size & 5.7 V8. I told him the only problem he might have is backing up the driveway and looking out the little rear window. The vinyl top reduces the size of the rear window. We let him drive dads car to try it out and back up with it. He hated that small rear window - but what can you do about it - the vinyl top was standard on the Brougham at that time.

Another friends wife just bought a used 2001 Chevy Venture. My friend didn't want her to buy it as is aware of the associated engine problems. This comes just after getting rid of a money draining 99 Taurus wagon.

I recall Howard Cohen's January 4th post asking the New group their opinions on GM Minivans. He got enough feedback & warnings about the problems associated with the 3.4 V6.

Howard posted back thanking people for their insight, then a week or so later Howard posted " Bought a Toyota Sienna" or something to that effect.

It seems all the information HC got concerning GM Minivan's swayed him to purchase a Toyota instead.

So to the poster asking about the Cadillac DeVille _ I hope he buys one whether its based on the opinions here or his decision own. I hope he don't post next month, " Just Bought A Toyota Avalon".

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 33,534 91 Bonneville LE 305,407
Reply to
Harry Face

The point is Mike, that it does not matter what you think. The OP asked a question. If he decides to use the answers he receives as part of, or even as the complete basis for his decision, that's his business. Your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Remember what they say about opinions Mike.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Most vehicle's share common problems or lets call them characteristic's. When purchasing a vehicle the need to know is important which comes with feedback this group offers. Example. head gasket problems, transmission's some years are good other are not, etc etc. That's the good part of this place. The second comment was not relevant in the thread until you brought it up. Stop pulling our leg on this one. The next step like you had mentioned is to have it checked by a qualified individual. This is called a buying process which I believe as do most of the posters here in this thread do that is important when looking into buying a particular item. The average person does not have any mechanical skills perhaps like you and I. BTW: When was the last time you yourself had an oil change MIKE. Those lines can get pretty clogged and start backing up when one doesn't do this that often. Now don't ask me why that's important, I'm not qualified to answer. LOL Cheers

"Mike Hunter" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net...

Reply to
Lanze

Hello Mike:

Thank you for the compliment. When I purchased my 1995 STS (my first Cadillac), I could not find much information about the engine until I ventured into another Cadillac forum outside Google. Again, thanks Mike.

Peace,

Famous

Reply to
famous21

My opinion of your posts in this thread is that they are bullshit, further it is my opinion that you have been touching yourself entirely too much. Now how about giving it a rest?

Reply to
Roy

Even the opinions of others about brand new cars can be deceptive, as well. My one son bought an AMC Reliant for his son, based on Motor Trend picking it as Car of the Year. CR once rated the Dodge Omni as better than the Plymouth Horizon when the only difference between them was the grill. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter