Cadillac Deville input

Page 2 of 3
Now you are catching on that was only my opinion, it has nothing to do with fact. How could I know if you parents were married or not. Just as nobody
in a NG can know anything about the one car he is thinking of buying ;)
mike hunt

If he actually bought the car he was looking at, I hope it was not one with any of the 'common' problems. ;)
mike hunt

Mike Hunter.
Mike I think the opinions of people & people in news groupsother other than techs & mechanic's can be very help to somebody that is interested in buying a car.
A friend of mine had a 99 LeSabre and speaks very negatively about it since he traded it in and bought a Hyundia Sante Fe in 2004. The LeSabre had runnablity issues & twice the center storage armrest broke out around the hinge because of poor design. There is a 1 1/2 gap between the bottom of the armrest & seat cushion. Constant leaning on it breaks the plastic around the piviot point. The GM Service writer told him your supposed to keep a large book under the armrest to keep it from springing down from leaning on it. I can't print what my friends reply to the service writer was, or what he was told to do with the book --- LOL !
So according to my friend a 99 LeSabre sucks. My aunt has a 99 as well & its all original & has had no problems with it.
The opinion's of others may point out some things that another person would even look at or consider when they look at a car. My uncle for one asked me about my dad's 91 Cadillac Brougham & what I thought about it. He like the car for its size & 5.7 V8. I told him the only problem he might have is backing up the driveway and looking out the little rear window. The vinyl top reduces the size of the rear window. We let him drive dads car to try it out and back up with it. He hated that small rear window - but what can you do about it - the vinyl top was standard on the Brougham at that time.
Another friends wife just bought a used 2001 Chevy Venture. My friend didn't want her to buy it as is aware of the associated engine problems. This comes just after getting rid of a money draining 99 Taurus wagon.
I recall Howard Cohen's January 4th post asking the New group their opinions on GM Minivans. He got enough feedback & warnings about the problems associated with the 3.4 V6.
Howard posted back thanking people for their insight, then a week or so later Howard posted " Bought a Toyota Sienna" or something to that effect.
It seems all the information HC got concerning GM Minivan's swayed him to purchase a Toyota instead.
So to the poster asking about the Cadillac DeVille _ I hope he buys one whether its based on the opinions here or his decision own. I hope he don't post next month, " Just Bought A Toyota Avalon".
Even the opinions of others about brand new cars can be deceptive, as well. My one son bought an AMC Reliant for his son, based on Motor Trend picking it as Car of the Year. CR once rated the Dodge Omni as better than the Plymouth Horizon when the only difference between them was the grill. LOL
mike hunt

Perhaps the Omni had a better quality grill. :)
Dave
Most vehicle's share common problems or lets call them characteristic's. When purchasing a vehicle the need to know is important which comes with feedback this group offers. Example. head gasket problems, transmission's some years are good other are not, etc etc. That's the good part of this place. The second comment was not relevant in the thread until you brought it up. Stop pulling our leg on this one. The next step like you had mentioned is to have it checked by a qualified individual. This is called a buying process which I believe as do most of the posters here in this thread do that is important when looking into buying a particular item. The average person does not have any mechanical skills perhaps like you and I. BTW: When was the last time you yourself had an oil change MIKE. Those lines can get pretty clogged and start backing up when one doesn't do this that often. Now don't ask me why that's important, I'm not qualified to answer. LOL Cheers

Do a google search and you will find many complaints about Chrysler transmission, Toyota sludge problem or Honda brake problem but hundred of thousands of people that own them do not have those problems with the ONE they own. ;)
mike hunt

It's confirmed Mike - you did fail reading comprehension. I said no such thing. Go back and read slowly - very slowly what I posted. You'll find it is something quite different.

Sorry Mike - red herring. The OP never made mention of a particular car he was considering. He asked very clearly about 98-00 Caddies in general. You failed reading comprehension again.

No Mike - you don't think at all before you post and that's the problem with this entire discussion. I gave you an example of how the type of information he inquired about could be useful. Reading comprehension again.
Maybe if you read this group with an eye toward what people are really posting and not with an eye for an opportunity to go off on some rant, you'd not find yourself in the middle of so many frays here.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

On 1/17/06 8:10 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net, "Mike Hunter"

I would personally rather read peoples comments about their Cadillacs in general, whether it would apply to my situation or not, than some of the other i-hate-you-go-to-hell crap that takes up so many bytes of space.
I wonder how many of the happy Cadillac owners lurk in a GM NG? ;)
mike hunt

My wife had a 2K Eldo. Real nice car, no problems other than oil consumption. Used1/2 quart every 2K, not a big deal imo. My sister in law bought the car and it has better than 75K still no problems and the oil consumption remains the same. ymmv
Roy
all,<BR><BR>I was just over to the Cadillac ng and not much happening there.&nbsp; I am<BR>thinking of looking for a '98-'00 Deville to buy.&nbsp; I would love any<BR>opinions on these cars.&nbsp; Do they have any common problems with engines,<BR>transmissions, etc.?&nbsp; I believe these cars to have the Northstar V-8.<BR>Do these engines have gasket issues?&nbsp; Anybody know what the average mpg<BR>is?<BR><BR>I was looking at newer cars within my budget and was very discouraged.<BR>Most of them were like sitting on a wooden park bench.&nbsp; I want a car<BR>with substance, comfort and of course all the fun toys and I'm thinking<BR>a used, nice caddie would be a good choice.<BR><BR>Thanks,&nbsp; Tom<BR><BR> <P> <HR>
<P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
--WebTV-Mail-21027-11671 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Thank you Roy and Mike Marlow for you input. Much appreciated. I will look at consumer reports.
Key words Hunter "common problems"
--WebTV-Mail-21027-11671 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-21027-11671--
What is a 'common' problem? 2 out of 100, 10 out of 100, 50 out of 100, what? Does common problem refer to ALL Cadillac's or only to the ones that are owned by those who happen to be in the NG that week? ;)
mike hunt
you Roy and Mike Marlow for you input.&nbsp; <BR>Much appreciated.&nbsp; I will look at consumer reports.<BR><BR>Key words Hunter "common problems"<BR><BR> <P> <HR>
<P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
------=_NextPart_000_00BA_01C61C21.B838DA70 Content-Type: text/plain;     charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding
WTF is your problem???? Did you some how figure you are the new moderator?
The guy asked for some info he got some. It is up to him to determine how good it was and how to use it.
Roy
Thank you Roy and Mike Marlow for you input. Much appreciated. I will look at consumer reports.
Key words Hunter "common problems"

------=_NextPart_000_00BA_01C61C21.B838DA70
No problem here, my reply was directed to the original poster. The purpose was to advise him that comments by others in a NG was not the best place to get information, goof or bad, about any particular vehicle that may be on the market today.
you Roy and Mike Marlow for you input.&nbsp; <BR>Much appreciated.&nbsp; I will look at consumer reports.<BR><BR>Key words Hunter "common problems"<BR><BR> <P> <HR>
<P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
No place is the "best place" to get info imo. CR has a history of being slanted and at times inaccurate, again imo. but it provides info none the less. Most will come to a ng to get some sort of feedback, a couple posted oil consumption issues, that might give him a hint to look deeper into it. There is a ton of info and the fix for it.
Roy
you Roy and Mike Marlow for you input.&nbsp; <BR>Much appreciated.&nbsp; I will look at consumer reports.<BR><BR>Key words Hunter "common problems"<BR><BR> <P> <HR>
<P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Whether or not you meant 'goof or bad' or 'good or bad', they both fit <G>
Don't you just love automatic spell checkers? ;)
mike hunt