Cadillac Electrical Problems

Got a few minor problems with momma's car. 91 Cadillac Brougham.

Problem 1

We got the dual overhead dome / reading lights. The inner visor ends snap into the rear of the light assembly.

The righthand light does not light when the door opens or if you push the lens/button. Also discovered the wire running throught the left hand sunvisor is broken in two where the the wire runs out of the visor and into the chromed hinge elbow that is part of the piviot arm that screws into the ceiling. This is the wire for the lefthand lighted visor vanity mirror. Does anyone know If the visor vanity mirror wire is tied into the dome / reading light wiring??

Problem 2

I had to replace the passenger side door handle ( exterior ) in late August. I removed all door panel trim and unplugged all wiring for door locks, window, door light and seat switches.

About two weeks ago momma opened the passenger door window about 6 inches by accident using the driver side switch. The window opened but wouldn't close. When I tried it it wouldn't close. I reached over and pressed the passengerside window button and the window closed. Passenger side switch opens & closes window just fine. Driver side switch only opens the passengerside window. All other windows work fine using the drivers switch.

Drivers door panel was off about 5 years ago. Could the problem be related to removing the passengerside door panel? I have yet to look into the problems, its 38 degrees and we can live with a light not working and a window switch problem until it warms up.

Thanks,

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,304 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face
  1. Fix the obvious first. Repair the broken wire and see if that fixes the light problem. I don't have a diagram so can't trace. Burned bulb?
  2. Probably a connector not seated from when you had it apart.....

Reply to
BillW

A few weeks back, my visor fell from it's perch right into my line-of-site.....while I was driving.....that was _'unexpected'_. Anyway, when that happened, one of the two wires that feed through the pivot arm broke(the ground wire). I soldered it back together and 'fixed' the broken plastic part that is supposed to lock the pivot arm into the ceiling lock. On my DeVille, there are only two wires in that arm. One a constant Hot and the other a ground. My map lights and vanity lights are controlled by switches. My Map lights also act as dome lights and are controlled by a door switch which also controls the door courtesy lighting. I don't know how that switched-wire runs in your vehicle. If your dome light also has a switch, most likely it's using the same constant Hot that the Map/Vanity lights are. Any slack in the wiring will be in the vanity lights, although there may also be some in the Map lights. I haven't had any problem with them, so I've not had the need to remove them. Anyway, when I open either door(only 2 of 'em), my door courtesy lights/map lights/and rear-pillar lights illuminate.

Most likely if you solder that wire back together, all will be fine again!

As to the window problem: there is a diagnostic 'tree' for troubleshooting the control systems. Your trouble may just be a simple wiring problem.....some wire loose/disconnected/mis-connected. Closing the door-lock switch is a clue(I'd suspect a ground wire). Do you have a SM?

Hope some of this helps.....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt