cadillac fuel tank

Further in the saga of my 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood I'm trying to resurrect. I have dropped the tank and discovered fuel pump and strainer completely shot, and have replaced the pump and sending unit.
After inspecting the interior of the tank I've noticed the metal is pitted and rusty . Probably normal for a 16 year old car in Central Florida. My question is: Should I replace the tank, or will a tank in this condition still out live the rest of the car ?? Thanks
vandalay wrote:

If it isn't too bad you could try the etch and seal routine with a product like this:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID82&itemType=PRODUCT
Of course the big question is how much a decent replacement tank would cost. That you will have to check on. The Eastwood kit above is around $50.
YMMV! John

In most cases, if the internal rust is the source of fuel pump and strainer failure, replace the gas tank. Otherwise, you may be dropping that tank a number of times in the case of patch fixes. The gas gauge sending unit and rubber gasket at tank entry may need replacement as well. Spray the exterior of the gas tank with an underbody coating before installing. Check the gas tank hangers before mounting. Do it right, get it behind you.
--
Jonny

You were right. I went ahead and bought a new tank for $ 100. I just couldn't put a new fuel pump and sending unit in a old, junky tank. She's purring along nicely now, not bad for a car that hasn't run for 2 years, that nobody wanted and I could have, if I would just tow it away.