Cam Position Sensor on 91 Park Ave, Need some help

Recently I got the check engine soon light on a 91 Buick Park Ave 3.8 L VIN Series. I checked the trouble codes and 41 came up along with 31 (Park/Neutral Switch), but thats a different story. Anyhow, I went to a
local junkyard and found the sensor I needed. Right after I replaced the sensor, I reset the computer's memory and started the car. Sure enough I got the check engine light again, and it was code 41 again too.
I decided to check where the sensor is placed and I found this...
http://img72.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img72&image=img18978bo.jpg
Now im not sure if the picture shows everything to be correct, but to me it appears as if some pieces have broken off. Can some one that has seen what the cam shaft position sensor placement looks give me some light on this. Perhaps some other GM models may have the same components as well. Thank you.
Vic
What your seeing in the photo you posted is the Cam Interupter Magnet. It supplies the magnet impulses that are delivered to the Cam Shaft sensor which relays back to the computer. If there is no signal it will trip code 41.
More than likely your 14 year old Cam Interupter Magnet is broken off as well.
You can remove the cam sensor and bump your engine till the Interupter comes into view in the hole in the timing cover. You'll need a mirror & strong flashlight to see it. Tey run about $9.00 at the dealer and are no bigger than a a stack of 3 nickels.
Replacing the Interupter is a job, you got to pull the harmonic balancer and timing cover off and the timing chain assembly has to come out as well. The Cam Interupter presses in from the backside of the upper timing spocket.
I just had mine replaced last Spetember. I didn't see the need for a new timing chain set but got one anyway. The old one looked fine despite my high mileage.
There is a nylon timing chain tensioner you should replace seeing its apart, that usually has a big wear mark in it from riding against the timing chain.
No More code 41 for me
Good Luck.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,688 miles_~_~_
Thank you for the information Harry. That does sound like a lot of work to do, considering that all it needs is a $9 part replaced.
And is not as easy as I thought getting some mechanics to understand what I need. One mechanic insisted that the problem was the sensor even after I showed him the picture. I just don't feel comfortable forking out a lot of money for just a small part. Any clue on what this job might cost at the dealer?
Harry Face wrote:

Not sure what a dealer would charge. Probably at least 3 hours labor. I've seen some posts a few years back somebody paid almost $600, but that included a water pump & timing chain too.
I wouldn' t go to those mechanics that said your cam sensor is bad when you know & they know the magnetic interuptor is broken off. You can put 5 new cam sensors on and still get code 41
Good Luck.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,834 miles_~_~_