Can anyone tell me definitively, what the acceleration of the volt will be?

Page 1 of 2
Can anyone tell me definitively, what the acceleration of the volt will be? I have read and watched some video online saying that it will run at 0 to 60 in 10 seconds!!!! You've got to be kidding me! I
have been waiting for this car of nearly 8 years. If it comes out as a serious replacement for a 'real car,' it is going to sell like 'hot cakes;' and I can't wait to own one. But 0 to 60 in 10 seconds!!!! I can push a 'push bike' faster than that. There is no reason why an electric car can't suck enough current to accelerate fast. If accelerating fast reduces my range from 40 to 10 miles, I can 'live with it!' Please tell me that they aren't going to make this fatal error; or this car is just going to go the way of the ev1!

At the moment the top speed will be 40 soit will never go to 60 unless you are going downhill in a very strongbackwind. The estimate it will go from 0 to 40 in normal conditions in roughly 20 seconds on a goodday. At the current time speeding like that is really a strain on the batteries and is not receommended. The range might reach 10 miles but only if you go out and give it a push. The online engine is currently not working but it will hopefully help you get back home eventually.

The batteries for the Volt are still being developed. The same kind of batteries have been used in small instruments. The battery can overheat and cause its plastic cover to melt which poses a fire and burn hazard to consumers. The fire hazard is most noticeable while charging. Fast charging and fast releasing can cause overheating and fire. Especially in big battery packs. It will take many more years of experiments to discover if the size of battery packs needed for a car will ever be safe to use. There have been successful uses of smaller battery packs in bicycles and it is possible that the new Volta will be turned into a bicycle and early tests look promising. The last several weeks some key employees have been chosen to test these new Volta bicycles between work and home. They get special clothes in case of fire and they have built special garage extensions to charge the Volta bicycles. So far the tests have been very successful and not many casualties have been reported. Only a handful of homes have been burnt down because the garage extension were not used and the Volt bicycles were taken indoors. It is NOT recommended to use the same chargers as are used for charging computers. There have only been a few fatal instances reported and they are being investigated.

Yes, it will range between 9.8 seconds and 11.2 seconds depending on battery charge. You have my word on it.

Are we talking "miles per hour" or "kilometers per hour?"

yes

Miles

.
O.K., in that case, I take it all back. I started this post erroneously believing that the claim was 0 to 60 KILOMETERS in 10 seconds. Im an idiot. If we are talking about 0 to 60 MILES in 10 seconds, this is quite respectable. Sixty miles per hour converts to 96.5 kilometres per hour! If it can go from 0 to 96.5 km/h in 10 seconds, that is pretty darn respectable! My v6 Holden Commodore takes 6 seconds to get to 60km/h. This means that it is accelerating at around the pace of a 6 cylinder car. Good enough for me. Sorry for the mistake. (km in Australia, miles in America were the car is made). Didnt occur to me.

The car is not made and it is questionable if it will ever be made. There are several cars from other companies already made and much better.
Electric motors, unlike gasoline engines that must be run up to reach their maximum torque, develop their highest torque at startup. It would not be unusual to expect a vehicle powered by an electric motor to have relatively quick pickup. After all it is torque that gets a vehicle moving and keeps it moving up a grade. HP an the other hand produces the ultimate speed of a vehicle

You need to go here to buy your Electric American Sportscar if you want 4sec 0-60 times. Plus it comes out at about the same time as the Volt. www.teslamotors.com

http://www.wired.com/cars/futuretransport/magazine/16-04/ff_zapped?currentPage=1
The differance is the Volt will seat three more passengers and be more stable with its four wheels. ;)

Hype Machine: Searching for GM's Fleet of No-Show Green Cars
Gosi wrote:

http://www.wired.com/cars/futuretransport/magazine/16-04/ff_zapped?currentPage=1
I quit hoping for the Volt when I saw that it would be priced at $30K++ and you might have to lease (??) the battery packs. The Volt will be more DOA that the late EV-1. Who would buy an unproven GM car the first (or second, or...) year of production. The Prius and Civic have already proven technology and work well. The EV-1, er Volt, will be DOA courtesy of GM. Again.
--
Civis Romanus Sum

That price will not be far out of line by the time the Volt comes to market in a few years. The current price of the Toyota hybrids, that sells today for $28,000 to $34,000, with batteries that are not as good.
com/cars/futuretransport/magazine/16-04/ff_zapped?currentPage=1

It is really interesting to compare ZAP and GM
Both use PR instead of quality Both started out with clever people Both sell waporware
Only difference is the size of the companies and the lenght of the process from start to failure
I also would not be interested in leasing batteries. I'd simple put in my own if I had to.
Personally, I'm looking forward to a new crop of cars that aren't designed to maximize one's potential for speeding tickets.

You're the only one. And a car doesn't get a speeding ticket. The driver does...
One can get a speeding citation driving a small car with a small engine. It happen every day LOL