Can I run it without the compressor?

85 GMC s15 w/ 2.8L V6
A/C compressor is burned up and the belt on it is frayed. Can I take it off and run it without the compressor for a while, or is the belt tension
necessary? I don't think the belt touches anything exept the center pully and the compressor, so I would think I could just take it off without any ill affects to the engine. There are 3 other belts on this engine. My plan is to remove the compresor and its belt, then when I get ready to buy a new one, get it and put it on, then go by to get it charged with freon. Is there anything wrong with this idea?
Thanks,
Casey
If only the AC compressor is driven by the belt there is no problem with removing that belt. Just make sure the other two belts are properly tightened.

off
new
there
Sounds like a plan, to me. Just be aware that your defrosters won't work as well without the compressor to remove humidity.
Dave
... And be sure to close off the fitting ends where the compressor pipes go really well - you don't want any dust or bugs floating around in your system when it's time to get it going again.
-= Larry A.

says...

Remove the V-belt for the compressor but leave the A/C compressor installed until the time you install a new one. The A/C system is sealed and you don't want to take the risk of contamination. It will just make more work for the A/C repair shop and may cause the need to replace other A/C components.
Dennis Smith
If the system is full of Refrigerant, simply remove the belt.
It's against environmental laws to simply loosen a line, and let Refrigerant escape into atmosphere. Best bet is to have system evacuated, plug compressor lines, and re evacuate. An AC exposed to air goes bad quickly. When you replace compressor, change orifice tube [ probably plugged with metal shavings from failed compressor ]
An after market accumulator will be a good move too.
Have system re evacuated and recharged after compressor change
Thanks to everyone for the information. I think it would be wise to leave it on for now to avoid any contaminants in the system. I will just remove the belt for now.
As for the compressor R&R, considering the special care of the refrigerant lines, o-rings, and fittings which I didn't really think of before, I think I would feel better getting a shop to do this when it is time. $250 for a compressor is too much to have to pay again due to my ignorance of the A/C system. I'm sure its not hard to do, I just don't know step for step what should be done. I will do some reading up on it, but judging from the info gained here I will probably get a pro to do it, probably next spring.
Thanks to all who have responded.
Casey