Can rotors with ABS be turned ?

I have a 1995 Buick Regal with ABS. Yesterday I replaced the pads and turned the rotors in the front. The brakes now feel worse , pulsating and feeling like the ABS is engaged. Any opinions would be helpful. Maybe buy new rotors or unhook the battery to maybe clear any ABS problems. Thanks

Reply to
JRL

Shep

Make sure both rotors are not below the minimum thickness. Got a similar problem with my Montana.

Reply to
ega

If you have the "LOW TRAC" light, that will come on. I own a '95 W-body, and the ABS is more audible than felt through the pedal. If the ABS is working in error everytime you try to stop, you won't stop too quickly.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Most machine shops around here know what the minimum thickness should be, and would not cut them below that level for love or money.

I had a set cut a few years ago, however, and they wobbled from the very first. Turns out the lathe operator had used the wrong setup fittings, and he cut the discs out of index. You might check the runout to be sure you didnt get a bad cut.

Reply to
<HLS

Some shops will cut them anyways and void the warranty.

Reply to
ega

I would install new rotors. I'm pretty sure this is the problem.

Reply to
ega

Might be.. doesnt take much work to mike them, and check the runout.

Reply to
<HLS

JRL wrote in news:g0cbo1dgvr57v0qutpik5imftko37did71 @4ax.com:

i ran into this prob ALOT in the 90's on W platforms in the rental fleet i maintain. the shop i used to turn the rotors were not making a fine enuff cut and, for one reason or another, the pedal felt like pushing on concrete. GMs only advise was replace the rotors with OE. i had them cut at the slowest and finest pass possible and seem to bypass buying new part. i stopped even machining rotors on W bodies after figuring out the prob.

Reply to
KjunRaven

gm states not to turn these composit rotors but i have with little luck

Reply to
jshammer

No they don't state that! I haven't run across any GM rotors that could not be machined.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai