Cancelling DRL on Impala 2003

Page 1 of 5
Hi,
I want to cancel the DRL (Dayrunning light) on my Impala 2003, so i would open light manually.
I there a relay, fuse or connector to unplug???
STF
Don't understand why anyone would want to disconnect the Daytime Running Lights. I wish they were on all vehicles. There are too many stupid people that drive in the rain, at dawn and dusk without lights, cause they don't need them to see, other people need to be able to see them coming.

| Don't understand why anyone would want to disconnect the Daytime Running | Lights. I wish they were on all vehicles. There are too many stupid people | that drive in the rain, at dawn and dusk without lights, cause they don't | need them to see, other people need to be able to see them coming.
I can't argue with the stupid people issue...agreed that there are plenty out there on the roads. However, DRLs alone won't solve the specific problems mentioned.
Except for the DRL implementation in the Volvo line of vehicles (that illuminate all exterior lights all of the time) most DRLs implementations, including GM's, don't illuminate the tail/marker lights, which are just a important to have illuminated as the headlamps are during the conditions you've described. DRLs, in fact, statistically show that they actually promote the late use of the regular lighting system. Rear-end collision statistics are higher for DRL equipped vehicles in several studies (although GM always omits that from their press releases and their numbers). GM has attempted to rectify that issue by implementing low ambient light controls to automatically switch over from DRL mode when ambient lighting levels are low, but the system doesn't always work as it should during times when it's foggy or snowing in the daytime (sometimes it will turn on the regular lights, sometimes it won't OR sometimes they will be on one minute and will turn off while the operator of the vehicle _may_ , or _may not_ notice they went off). The ambient "auto" system works quite reliably when it's completely dark out though! ;-)
A rule of thumb if you drive a late model GM vehicle...always, ALWAYS turn on the regular lights MANUALLY when it daytime and is foggy, snowing or raining. Don't rely on the "auto" system during those driving conditions...you don't know what it will do with regard to the status of the lights. The "auto" system may train you to forget about your lights, but don't let it make you forget. Always verify they're on when they should be on. Some GM models have a connection to the wiper system where having the wipers on will keep the lights on, so this is less of a issue then (except fog when wipers aren't always needed) but not all models have that wiper cross-connection.

Isn't that true for all vehicles (GM or otherwise, DRL or otherwise)?
What would be much more sensible would be if vehicles had headlamps that turn off automatically if the car is locked without the key in the ignition (or maybe just turn off if the key is turned to the off or start position). That way anyone who wants DRLs can just leave the headlamp switch on the full on position, while anyone who doesn't want them can use the switch manually.
Timothy J. Lee
wrote: | >A rule of thumb if you drive a late model GM vehicle...always, ALWAYS turn on | >the regular lights MANUALLY when it daytime and is foggy, snowing or raining. | | Isn't that true for all vehicles (GM or otherwise, DRL or otherwise)?
Yes. However some (not all) people get used to relying on the "automatic" system which serves as a training system that trains some people to essentially "forget", especially in the winter months when it's dark so often...the lights just pop on by themselves. If the operator manually controlled the lights in all circumstances (not just when it's foggy), they would be more inclined to think about their responsibility in times when the auto system doesn't work very well/reliably.
| | What would be much more sensible would be if vehicles had headlamps that | turn off automatically if the car is locked without the key in the ignition | (or maybe just turn off if the key is turned to the off or start position). | That way anyone who wants DRLs can just leave the headlamp switch on the | full on position, while anyone who doesn't want them can use the switch | manually. |
I would be fine with that. I think old VW Beetles, Karmann-Ghias and "busses" used to work that way back in the 1960s. I'm all for owner choice where the laws allow it! ;-)

against the dark grey sky, in the dark grey rain driving without lights on and honks his horn after you start to move into his lane after checking and not seeing him and signaled like your supposed to.
Unfortunatley even the best of ideas can get messed up when implemented. Examples are HID DRL's that even thought they are dimmer still cause headaches if you glance at them, or parking light drl's (espically when one if burnt out, don't know if its a drl or a stuck turn signal)
IMHO DRL's would work is they were a separate lamp aimed low so as to not cause glare but still show up with some system to detect burn out (simple led in the dash in parallel with the lamp circuit.
| wrote: | Espically the guy in the other lane in a dark grey car on the dark gray road | against the dark grey sky, in the dark grey rain driving without lights on | and honks his horn after you start to move into his lane after checking and | not seeing him and signaled like your supposed to.
Yep...your fault for him not having his lights on. :-)
| Unfortunatley even the best of ideas can get messed up | when implemented. Examples are HID DRL's that even | thought they are dimmer still cause headaches if you | glance at them,
Haven't seen too many HID DRLS in the states...perhaps on a couple of BMW's and Benz's. But few owners of those makes take the DRL option, so few have DRLs at all here.
| or parking light drl's (espically when one | if burnt out, don't know if its a drl or a | stuck turn signal)
It will be interesting to see what impact the turn signal DRLs will have to the accident statistics...probably too soon to tell. One would think that the potential ambiguity (of intrepreting a false signal from your very common example) would not be a good thing...I guess time will tell.
| IMHO DRL's would work is they were a separate lamp aimed low so as to not | cause glare but still show up with some system to detect burn out (simple | led in the dash in parallel with the lamp circuit.
Yes, if we're going to have DRLs I agree they should be a separate lamp system with the proper lighting control optics designed specifically for the intended purpose for viewing well off-axis and would also be clearer as to not to confuse with the interpretation of other lamps. My understanding is that the original Canadian spec had just such a requirement until, guess who (yep...GM), lobbied them to allow the crap we have now...especially the high-beam implementations (like early Saturn's) that are virtually invisible off-axis, but overly bright directly in front.
Actually, my question was for work purpose.
I do surveillance and i was able to cancell my DRL on my Lumina 1996. I just need to cancell them but when i'm on the road, i open my lights manually.
I didn't want to start anything here.. :)
STF

| Actually, my question was for work purpose. | | I do surveillance and i was able to cancell my DRL on my Lumina 1996. I just | need to cancell them but when i'm on the road, i open my lights manually. | | I didn't want to start anything here.. :) |
:-) Couldn't resist!
If you're in law enforcement (or military) then GM will disable the DRL if the request is on a government letterhead. It is a actually a simple programming change the dealer can do...however the DRL disable code is unique to each cars VIN. With the official request, GM will give the code to the dealer. You are also required to sign a agreement to reactivate the DRL when selling the car. I don't believe that they can make them user switchable however. I'd contact the dealer for details...there is a GMLINK bulletin from mid 2000 on this exception.
In the interim. If you set your parking brake before starting the car, the auto headlamps will not come on (assuming they have already extinguished from the delay-off feature. As soon as you release the parking brake, the headlamps will come on and stay on even if you reset the parking brake. DRLs also will stay off when the parking brake ( engine running or not) is set. Does that work for you?
Well, i'm in Canada, Qubec more precisly... as a private investigator.
I notice there was a relay for DRL specificaly under the hood. If i take of that relay, will i be able to activate my low and hi lamps manualy?
Thanks,
STF

Canada, can't help you. :-( Doing what you suggest will set a DRL malfunction code in the BCM and cause the "Check Vehicle Soon" light to come on...which isn't a good thing. I'll defer to others in this news group for a solution for you...surely there are other people that have this requirement, I would think.
| Well, i'm in Canada, Qubec more precisly... as a private investigator. | | I notice there was a relay for DRL specificaly under the hood. If i take of | that relay, will i be able to activate my low and hi lamps manualy? | | Thanks, | | STF |
I believe that the police package Impala cars come with a "surveillance mode" switch which will kill all interior and exterior lights..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
| I believe that the police package Impala cars come with a "surveillance | mode" switch which will kill all interior and exterior lights.. | | --
Probably true, that would make sense. I wonder if it's legal in Canada (assuming the original poster "STF" is a private investigator and not a government employee). From what I've read, cars sold to private citizens in Canada aren't allowed to have a DRL kill switch. It would be interesting to know the final outcome once it's determined.
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:58:16 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

If you can't see a 3000lb+ car coming at you, I doubt some little lights are going to help the situation much. Granted I live in Arizona where DRL's are totally pointless, but there should be an option to turn them off, not something hardwired into the ECU.
| > Don't understand why anyone would want to disconnect the Daytime Running | > Lights. I wish they were on all vehicles. There are too many stupid | people | > that drive in the rain, at dawn and dusk without lights, cause they don't | > need them to see, other people need to be able to see them coming. | > | | If you can't see a 3000lb+ car coming at you, I doubt some little lights are | going to help the situation much. Granted I live in Arizona where DRL's are | totally pointless, but there should be an option to turn them off, not | something hardwired into the ECU. | |
GM isn't listening to you...! ;-)

We have this fun law in NY, "wipers on, lights on" so I'm sure when trying to disable DRL, you'll be SOL ;)
-GV
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:42:24 GMT, GlassVial

Why? My interpretation of the law is that your running lights must be on, including headlights. This means FRONT AND REAR lights. DRLs would NOT qualify since they just turn on bulbs on the front of the vehicle.

Don't ask me, ask the NY state lawmakers.
-GV
| >Don't understand why anyone would want to disconnect the Daytime Running | >Lights. I wish they were on all vehicles. There are too many stupid people | >that drive in the rain, at dawn and dusk without lights, cause they don't | >need them to see, other people need to be able to see them coming. | | We have this fun law in NY, "wipers on, lights on" so I'm sure when | trying to disable DRL, you'll be SOL ;) | | -GV |
Same in Maryland. I think that is a good idea, actually.