Cancelling DRL on Impala 2003

Hi,

I want to cancel the DRL (Dayrunning light) on my Impala 2003, so i would open light manually.

I there a relay, fuse or connector to unplug???

STF

Reply to
STF

Don't understand why anyone would want to disconnect the Daytime Running Lights. I wish they were on all vehicles. There are too many stupid people that drive in the rain, at dawn and dusk without lights, cause they don't need them to see, other people need to be able to see them coming.

Reply to
Jeff & Carol

You're out of luck, even though US (and most state) written vehicle lighting laws are very clear that the operator is the sole entity authorized to be in control of the lights on the vehicle, GM has decided to insinuated themselves into that process. Sure a operator can decide to use the car's automatic system, but it's clear that the operator is to decide what is best for them.

To your question...disconnecting the DRL resistor or pulling the fuse will disable the DRLs. However, that act will set a code in the BCM and cause your "Service Vehicle Soon" light to come on. GM won't disable either. Although other manufacturers that have DRLs will honor their customer's request, GM won't.

Enjoy your new Impala! :-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I can't argue with the stupid people issue...agreed that there are plenty out there on the roads. However, DRLs alone won't solve the specific problems mentioned.

Except for the DRL implementation in the Volvo line of vehicles (that illuminate all exterior lights all of the time) most DRLs implementations, including GM's, don't illuminate the tail/marker lights, which are just a important to have illuminated as the headlamps are during the conditions you've described. DRLs, in fact, statistically show that they actually promote the late use of the regular lighting system. Rear-end collision statistics are higher for DRL equipped vehicles in several studies (although GM always omits that from their press releases and their numbers). GM has attempted to rectify that issue by implementing low ambient light controls to automatically switch over from DRL mode when ambient lighting levels are low, but the system doesn't always work as it should during times when it's foggy or snowing in the daytime (sometimes it will turn on the regular lights, sometimes it won't OR sometimes they will be on one minute and will turn off while the operator of the vehicle _may_ , or _may not_ notice they went off). The ambient "auto" system works quite reliably when it's completely dark out though! ;-)

A rule of thumb if you drive a late model GM vehicle...always, ALWAYS turn on the regular lights MANUALLY when it daytime and is foggy, snowing or raining. Don't rely on the "auto" system during those driving conditions...you don't know what it will do with regard to the status of the lights. The "auto" system may train you to forget about your lights, but don't let it make you forget. Always verify they're on when they should be on. Some GM models have a connection to the wiper system where having the wipers on will keep the lights on, so this is less of a issue then (except fog when wipers aren't always needed) but not all models have that wiper cross-connection.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Espically the guy in the other lane in a dark grey car on the dark gray road against the dark grey sky, in the dark grey rain driving without lights on and honks his horn after you start to move into his lane after checking and not seeing him and signaled like your supposed to.

Unfortunatley even the best of ideas can get messed up when implemented. Examples are HID DRL's that even thought they are dimmer still cause headaches if you glance at them, or parking light drl's (espically when one if burnt out, don't know if its a drl or a stuck turn signal)

IMHO DRL's would work is they were a separate lamp aimed low so as to not cause glare but still show up with some system to detect burn out (simple led in the dash in parallel with the lamp circuit.

Reply to
Eugene

Yep...your fault for him not having his lights on. :-)

| Unfortunatley even the best of ideas can get messed up | when implemented. Examples are HID DRL's that even | thought they are dimmer still cause headaches if you | glance at them,

Haven't seen too many HID DRLS in the states...perhaps on a couple of BMW's and Benz's. But few owners of those makes take the DRL option, so few have DRLs at all here.

| or parking light drl's (espically when one | if burnt out, don't know if its a drl or a | stuck turn signal)

It will be interesting to see what impact the turn signal DRLs will have to the accident statistics...probably too soon to tell. One would think that the potential ambiguity (of intrepreting a false signal from your very common example) would not be a good thing...I guess time will tell.

| IMHO DRL's would work is they were a separate lamp aimed low so as to not | cause glare but still show up with some system to detect burn out (simple | led in the dash in parallel with the lamp circuit.

Yes, if we're going to have DRLs I agree they should be a separate lamp system with the proper lighting control optics designed specifically for the intended purpose for viewing well off-axis and would also be clearer as to not to confuse with the interpretation of other lamps. My understanding is that the original Canadian spec had just such a requirement until, guess who (yep...GM), lobbied them to allow the crap we have now...especially the high-beam implementations (like early Saturn's) that are virtually invisible off-axis, but overly bright directly in front.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Actually, my question was for work purpose.

I do surveillance and i was able to cancell my DRL on my Lumina 1996. I just need to cancell them but when i'm on the road, i open my lights manually.

I didn't want to start anything here.. :)

STF "James C. Reeves" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
STF

If you can't see a 3000lb+ car coming at you, I doubt some little lights are going to help the situation much. Granted I live in Arizona where DRL's are totally pointless, but there should be an option to turn them off, not something hardwired into the ECU.

Reply to
Paradox

I'm trying to develop a workaround for Impala's and Monte Carlo's, (and anything else that is a W-body) that will disable the DRL's, not turn on a trouble light, and it easy to do.

Reply to
Paradox

Have they done away with the trick where you can disable the DRL's by starting the car with the parking brake engaged?

That's been my workaround in my 96 Beretta.

PITA, granted, but at least you have an option.

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

Reply to
Roy G. Bragg

I find it odd that GM implemented the "DRLs on when in gear only" thing on the trucks and not the cars. My 2000 S-10 only has the DRLs on in gear, and it's not that they go on the first time it's put in gear and not go off till the truck is shut off, they go off anytime it's put in Park.

Reply to
Mike Levy

We have this fun law in NY, "wipers on, lights on" so I'm sure when trying to disable DRL, you'll be SOL ;)

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Cancelling DRL on Impala 2003

I don't know about your state laws, but my state says that lights must work as designed and OEM lights must operate when the vehicle is inspected. Also, if you install auxilliary wxterior lights, they must work for inspection. I spoke to the police about disabling DRL's and I was told that in PA they must work for inspection and if you are involved in an acident, with them disabled, you could be in deep shit legally.

DRL's work. I know that they've saved my butt more than once and suspect that they may have saved me again today. Rich B

Rich B

Why? My interpretation of the law is that your running lights must be on, including headlights. This means FRONT AND REAR lights. DRLs would NOT qualify since they just turn on bulbs on the front of the vehicle.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Don't ask me, ask the NY state lawmakers.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

| | If you can't see a 3000lb+ car coming at you, I doubt some little lights are | going to help the situation much. Granted I live in Arizona where DRL's are | totally pointless, but there should be an option to turn them off, not | something hardwired into the ECU. | |

GM isn't listening to you...! ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Same in Maryland. I think that is a good idea, actually.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

You'll be rich...good luck.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Setting the parking brake method also disables the anti-lock brake system on some models...not a good idea.

Reply to
James C. Reeves