Cancelling DRL on Impala 2003

Interesting then that many police departments disable them. I guess they're exempt? How about Toyotas, BMWs, Benz's, Volvos, etc. that will disable DRLs upon owner request (and most buyers do)...they exempt too? I think the police are pulling your chain.

As long as you can show the headlamps come on when the headlamp switch is turned on (they work, in other words), I'm sure it will pass. Headlamps are a legal requirement, DRLs are not required by any US laws.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

:-) Couldn't resist!

If you're in law enforcement (or military) then GM will disable the DRL if the request is on a government letterhead. It is a actually a simple programming change the dealer can do...however the DRL disable code is unique to each cars VIN. With the official request, GM will give the code to the dealer. You are also required to sign a agreement to reactivate the DRL when selling the car. I don't believe that they can make them user switchable however. I'd contact the dealer for details...there is a GMLINK bulletin from mid 2000 on this exception.

In the interim. If you set your parking brake before starting the car, the auto headlamps will not come on (assuming they have already extinguished from the delay-off feature. As soon as you release the parking brake, the headlamps will come on and stay on even if you reset the parking brake. DRLs also will stay off when the parking brake ( engine running or not) is set. Does that work for you?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Have you looked at a police cruiser recently? In our area many don't even have unique plates, most are your typical NY plate with POLICE stamped on it. Many cruisers also have no registration or inspection stickers where they typically are on an auto.

Reply to
Mike Levy

I've got a question..........concerning the new cars that turn the headlights on when you turn the wipers on.

I assume the headlights come on when you turn the wipers to low, med, high or delay.

When you hit the mist cycle and the wipers make one sweep - Do the headlights come on for one blink & go out when the wipers return to park ? Does anybody know ?

If the headlights do come on that would be annoying to have a guy behind you that hits the mist cycle once every block and a half and the headlights come on for 3 seconds then go off then on then off again..

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~277, 028 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I hate when your driving late in the evening or early in the morning and the light outside it right at that threshold where the lights come on for a mile or two then go off for a bit then back on the off. I bet that annoys the guy in front.

Reply to
Eugene

I suppose if you just put the parking brake on a "liitle" and it's just for a short approach to the guard/gatehouse it's liveable. Personally I would replace the photoresistor with a fixed value resistor and call it a done deal if I were still in the military. I don't like the idea of rolling with the brake on, specially on a somewhat regular basis. The photo resistor only works for the headlamps though, not DRL.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

You're partly right Jim, DRL's aren't required by any US law. However, In Pensylvania, the lights that are installed on a vehicle at the factory must work for inspection (as designed). If you install auxilliary lights on you vehicle, then they must work too and must comply with state codes. Also, I checked at the inspection station today and was told (again) that if my car came equipped with DRLs, they must work for inspection. I realize that vehicle laws are more lax in Maryland but eventually, you'll catch up.

And yes, the police are exempt (something about sneaking up on the bad guys, non-vehicular safety issues, etc).

Rich B

I hate it when people feel the need to drive during the day with their HIGH BEAMS on! High beams don't make a difference in the daylight people! No, these aren't cars with high-beam DRLs, they're from LONG before DRLs...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Isn't that true for all vehicles (GM or otherwise, DRL or otherwise)?

What would be much more sensible would be if vehicles had headlamps that turn off automatically if the car is locked without the key in the ignition (or maybe just turn off if the key is turned to the off or start position). That way anyone who wants DRLs can just leave the headlamp switch on the full on position, while anyone who doesn't want them can use the switch manually.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Your are correct that the Pennsylvania vehicle inspection code requires lights installed on a vehicle and all aftermarket installed lights must comply with state codes and operate for inspection.. However DRL's are redundant lamps. As long as the lamp works as required, as headlamps and running lights, their is NO requirement in the Pa inspection code relating to the operation of DRL's and they can be disable in Pa. Several years ago there was legislation introduced in the Pa state legislature to require DRL's in Pa. The state Senate held hearing into the advisability of the legislation. Tests conducted by the Engineering Departments of Penn State and Lehigh Universities determined that DRL's CREATED as many problems as benefits, and the legislation was defeated. Problems with distinguishing the difference in distance between an approaching vehicle being operated illegally with DRL's and one driven legally with headlamps on, was one reason. Pa requires the use of headlamps between sunset and sunrise and other times of limited vision. The fact the motorcycles have a tendency to disappear among a sea of DRl's in daylight, was another. I often see State Police citing Canadians driving on I-81 at dusk with just DRL's. Each citation brings $136 to our commonwealths treasury. ;)

mike hunt

Rich B wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt

In many states, yes they are.

Yes, because the manufacturer offers it as an option. GM does not.

[Infer whatever opinion you want from that, I'm just stating fact, and I'm sure as hell not getting into a discussion over whether GM is right or wrong in this regard.]

One other thing: I know that in my state (New Jersey) a vehicle that has its "Service Vehicle Soon" or "Service Engine Soon" light will fail inspection. And in most cases, disabling the DRLs on a GM vehicle will light up the SVS, giving you a guaranteed fail.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Well, i'm in Canada, Québec more precisly... as a private investigator.

I notice there was a relay for DRL specificaly under the hood. If i take of that relay, will i be able to activate my low and hi lamps manualy?

Thanks,

STF

"James C. Reeves" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
STF

Yes. However some (not all) people get used to relying on the "automatic" system which serves as a training system that trains some people to essentially "forget", especially in the winter months when it's dark so often...the lights just pop on by themselves. If the operator manually controlled the lights in all circumstances (not just when it's foggy), they would be more inclined to think about their responsibility in times when the auto system doesn't work very well/reliably.

| | What would be much more sensible would be if vehicles had headlamps that | turn off automatically if the car is locked without the key in the ignition | (or maybe just turn off if the key is turned to the off or start position). | That way anyone who wants DRLs can just leave the headlamp switch on the | full on position, while anyone who doesn't want them can use the switch | manually. |

I would be fine with that. I think old VW Beetles, Karmann-Ghias and "busses" used to work that way back in the 1960s. I'm all for owner choice where the laws allow it! ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Canada, can't help you. :-( Doing what you suggest will set a DRL malfunction code in the BCM and cause the "Check Vehicle Soon" light to come on...which isn't a good thing. I'll defer to others in this news group for a solution for you...surely there are other people that have this requirement, I would think.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

My understanding is that is true. The Malibu I had didn't have the wiper cross-connect though.

| | When you hit the mist cycle and the wipers make one sweep - Do the | headlights come on for one blink & go out when the wipers return to park | ? Does anybody know ?

No. It's my understanding that there is some delay built in...probably to keep that from happening. I got that from a NG member here that lives in Houston that I conversed with that had a Bonneville with the feature. I think he said it was about 20 seconds or so after turning on the wipers before the lights came on. He daid sometimes the lights would come on when he was using the wiper-washers.

| | If the headlights do come on that would be annoying to have a guy behind | you that hits the mist cycle once every block and a half and the | headlights come on for 3 seconds then go off then on then off again.. |

Well that situation happens a lot anyway when you live in a area where one drives under building bridges (between buildings in cities), long bridge overpasses, etc. (or heavy traffic that causes you to be under this type of overpass for longer than 8 seconds). My Malibu would switch to headlight mode after about 8 seconds under one of these structures (usually in traffic) and then switch back to DRL mode after 18-20 seconds after coming back into the light. Of course, can't see the dimmed radio or odo sometimes. It's actually pretty annoying, if you ask me (but I think the old timers in the NG that know me already know my opinion over this useless gimmicky stuff) ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I wonder how they check it. Most light operation inspections are done in a garage and the auto control will surely activate the headlamps even in a fairly well lit service garage. I suppose thay can shine a bright light on the ambient sensor and wait for the delay to see it it switches to DRL, but do they really do that in practice? Plus, how do they know which vehicle is set up with DRLs and which ones aren't since for most manufacturers DRLs are optional...for a given model, one might have them and another might not...how does the inspector know which is which? Doesn't make sense to worry about that, I wouldn't think. But, if you're so sure, I'll defer.

| And yes, the police are exempt (something about | sneaking up on the bad guys, non-vehicular | safety issues, etc).

But about the guy that started this post that wants to sneak up on the bad guys...he can't.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

| > Interesting then that many police departments disable them. I guess they're | > exempt? | | In many states, yes they are. | | > How about Toyotas, BMWs, Benz's, Volvos, etc. that will disable DRLs | > upon owner request (and most buyers do)...they exempt too? | | Yes, because the manufacturer offers it as an option. GM does not. | | [Infer whatever opinion you want from that, I'm just stating fact, and | I'm sure as hell not getting into a discussion over whether GM is right | or wrong in this regard.]

Aw...common, what's the fun in that!? ;-)

| | One other thing: I know that in my state (New Jersey) a vehicle that has | its "Service Vehicle Soon" or "Service Engine Soon" light will fail | inspection. And in most cases, disabling the DRLs on a GM vehicle will | light up the SVS, giving you a guaranteed fail.

Yep. Same in Maryland.

| | | | -- | E-mail fudged to thwart spammers. | Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply. |

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Some people in this NG have done the fixed resistor trick you suggest. Another wired a LED to the ignition switch to place over the sensor and covered it with black electrical tape to disable the auto system. Some customers obviously hate the system enough to go through all that trouble because they have no remedy/option from the manufacturer, which is really rather sad when you stop to think about it.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

VIN? It's a thought.

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

You're probably right...it has all the other options tied to the VIN (anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, etc). You may have hit on the answer. Although that wouldn't cover the dealer-defined option, would it (where the dealer sets the DRL mode per the customers request)?

Reply to
James C. Reeves