Cancelling DRL on Impala 2003

Kind of off the thread topic but... I have a question for you. Have you seen YOURSELF lately?

Just couldn't resist.

Signed,

Porky

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.
Reply to
SgtSilicon

I was driving an 01 LeSabre from Green Bay back to Milwaukee and we ran into some really thick fog or really light rain and I had to use my wipers to clear the windshield. Everytime that I hit the mist thing to get the wipers going the lights went on.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Good point. Given that, I'd bet they use the VIN and figure they've gotten as close as they can.

Then again, who knows?

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

you will not fine that information in the VIN#. The VIN list only country of manufacture, manufacture, body style, restraint type, engine and build sequence number.

mike hunt

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

I've heard all the jokes. My best friends name, in school, was Richard Gray. Is that Dick Gray with Mike Hunt? ;)

mike hunt

SgtSilic>

Reply to
MikeHunt2

It has a helluva lot more then that. If you give a dealer your VIN number they can tell you the options the car came with, what color it is and other things.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Besides, DRL's make sense, especially when some soccer mom is bearing down on you in a Suburban while yapping on her cell phone. They might be the only thing that stop her from creaming you and putting a loved one into the hospital or the ground (worse).

I know you Yanks are incredibly anal about mandatory things like seatbelts, and safety, and distrustful of anything labelled "for your own good", but some things actually do save lives, such as being visible.

Reply to
Matt Keefer

Yes, up until 25 years ago, we Yanks had been moderately successful in keeping that insidious disease (soccer) mostly under control and out of here. Unfortunately, it has now spread and has destroyed the purity and essence of our precious bodily fluids. ( ! )

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

When I've given the VIN# to my Insurance company the past couple of years to cover two new cars, they came back with a list of all the options on the car and asked me to confirm. So apparently that are now tying all that information to the VIN # these days since they knew what the car had on it before I even told them!

| > You're probably right...it has all the other options tied to the VIN (anti-lock | > brakes, anti-theft, etc). You may have hit on the answer. Although that | > wouldn't cover the dealer-defined option, would it (where the dealer sets the | > DRL mode per the customers request)?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

They would also already know what cars you drive and have had insured, straight from your state's DMV computer files...

I know mine does.

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

In NY the vehicle doesn't get registered to you until you insure it, so the Ins. company knows before DMV does. When you go to register a vehicle you have to show proof of insurance in order to get plates. When you want to remove insurance from a vehicle, unless you're changing ins. companies, you need to show proof that you turned in the plates before you get comprehensive taken off the vehicle.

Yes, the vehicle info is tied to the VIN. I imagine the car makers have web sites that they can open to insurance companies, agents and the DMV in order to provide lists of options on vehicles.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Nope. Mike is correct. However, the VIN can be used as a tool to get more information.

If you give a dealer your VIN number

True, but the dealer doesn't get that info from the VIN, rather, he uses the VIN to get that info. H

Reply to
Hairy

I believe that the police package Impala cars come with a "surveillance mode" switch which will kill all interior and exterior lights..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

That's what I was trying to get at but it came out the wrong way.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

We have similar in MN, but you only need a Ins Co name and Pol. # on the application, you needn't actually show the card from the Ins Co. Lotsa room for errors and bogus info there.

Have had mine actually checked only once, but read that the MN DVS will be doing random Ins checks, mostly on DWI repeat offenders, etc...

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

From the NHTSA site;

Vehicle Identification Number, VIN, is located on the top of the dashboard on the drivers side and visible through the windshield.. The Vin # includes: country of manufacture, name of manufacture, make, model, body style, restraint type, engine type, a check digit, year of manufacture, and build sequence number.. A sticker containing the paint code, interior code, vehicle color, axle type and build date, is located on a door post, usually by the drivers door.

mike hunt

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

However, tests conducted by the Engineering Departments of two Universities, for the State of Pennsylvania when they were considering the use of DRL's, indicated that DRL's was NOT one of them. Engineering studies indicated the opposite to be true, that DRL's would lead to MORE accidents in certain driving conditions, rather than fewer.. One can search the archives of the Pa State Senate, or those of Penn State and Lehigh Universities, for the reports on the dangers of DRL's for anybody wanting to catch up on CURRENT science in the field. Similar findings were presented to the US Congress when the US Senate turned down GM's request to make DRL's mandatory in the USA. The reports are available in the 'Congressional Record,' as well, for those wishing verification. ;)

mike hunt

Matt Keefer wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Probably true, that would make sense. I wonder if it's legal in Canada (assuming the original poster "STF" is a private investigator and not a government employee). From what I've read, cars sold to private citizens in Canada aren't allowed to have a DRL kill switch. It would be interesting to know the final outcome once it's determined.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Understood, but it is somehow tied to some type of database of other information. My example is real. The insurance company knew as much about my last two cars as I did just from the VIN # ...and found that information darn near immediately.

| > When I've given the VIN# to my Insurance company the past couple of years to | > cover two new cars, they came back with a list of all the options on the car | > and asked me to confirm. So apparently that are now tying all that information | > to the VIN # these days since they knew what the car had on it before I even | > told them! | >

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Might as well save it. Most of the GM lemmings here in this NG will never believe that GM is making suckers out of them by lying to them over these things. Yet all the evidence is there...much of it on file at the NHTSA...assuming you don't "cherry pick" the information, but take the time to review it ALL in it's _entirety_! Perot & Prowler being the most recent comprehensive white paper on file on the matter (great reading if interested in the subject). The most recent _independent_ information is ever increasingly damaging to GM's "position" on DRLs. Insurance accident loss data hasn't shown any conclusive benefit (in fact, cars with DRLs have a very slight higher accident loss rate). So real data is coming in...the results certainly are not what most expected.

What is really quite sad is that we've yet to see what the real world implications will be from the relatively recent DRL implementation using the turn signal lamps as DRLs. Surely the ambiguity of increased likelihood of misinterpreting a signal that that DRL design will create under certain driving situations can't be a good thing! I really do wish that GM would just STOP using those of us on the road as their experiment ground!